Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neutrino
    Asher:
    Wouldn't software need to be optimized to take advantage of HT?

Hmm wait.. if the OS knows about HT then it can choose to assign the 2nd process from the OS' PCB to the CPU - but does it choose the optimal solution (one that does not interfere w/ the other running process so that no deadlock occurs).
    Programs optimized for HT show the most improvement, but it doesn't need to be so. Most applications today are single-threaded (they only use one thread), and HT won't show any performance advantage in that case unless you are running two different programs at once (say, video encoding & norton anti-virus). More and more programs are designed for either dual processors (SMP) or hyperthreading (SMT). SMP programs usually show a considerable performance boost with HT, SMT programs show the most.

And Windows XP is the only Windows OS that actually understands and recognizes HT. Windows 95, 98, and Me won't use HyperThreading at all, and Windows 2000 treats it as a 2nd physical processor.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I wondering how the OS will determine the optimal choice in picking the other processes to run concurrently in order to maximize resource efficiency and utilization (and avoid something like the Dining Philosopher's problem). Maybe it looks at the address spaces of each process on the PCB and compares the shared blocks?

Comment

bought a laptop for college, an ibook

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator

You were discussing multi-threading...
          And then another poster expressed excitement over it, so I joked that he had something to masturbate over.

A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

"I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
            - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
            Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Working...
            X