To increase number of computers in my home
    14.89%
    Hardware was breaking down
    6.38%
    Specs inadequate for latest games
    44.68%
    Specs inadequate for latest software other than games
    6.38%
    Wanted something different (a mac instead of a PC,for example)
    2.13%
    Other = please specify
    21.28%
    Wanted a Banana 5000
    4.26%
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

I was in college and I needed a computer of MY OWN. My computer is now rather old, and I haven;t the resources to buy a new one.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Other, I got offered a swap, my Duron 750 128 Mb for a P4 1700 256Mb that my friend had stolen from his work and couldn't keep in case anyone from there came around to see him!

Bargain!

Comment

To be able to play Civ3.
        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
          To be able to play Civ3.
          They hav'nt made a computer yet that can make 16 Civs, Huge map playable on Civ3!

Comment

basically similar to GEpap. PC we have now is first one we bought. We could buy a cheapie one now, but trying to figure out if its worth it versus other needs.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

college.
              B♭3

Comment

Coz I feel like it
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

My last computer was a laptop that I'd owned for three or four years, and the company that manufactured it went out of business. Then the proprietary (i.e. "difficult-to-replace") hard-drive started eating itself alive: I ran Scandisk one day, and found that I had 2% bad sectors; a week later I had 5% bad sectors; a week later I had 15% bad sectors; a week later I got a new computer.

I originally got the laptop because my first computer (a desktop that I made out of spare parts) ran into some motherboard problems -- the BIOS battery corroded.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I hear you on the hard-drive: Mine was eating itself up too. My computer may be old, but its powerpack and hard-drive aren't.
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

My old parts were slow and old. Plus I noticed I had a couple of thousand dollars lying in my bank account doing nothing, so the simple solution was to buy lots of expensive new parts.

Incidently, the "left-over" parts from my upgrade ended up making a new computer for my g/f and I didn't need to buy much to fill in the gaps.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
                        To be able to play Civ3.
                        Ditto.

I brought home my new copy of Civ3 and found out my comp couldn't run DirectX v8 and a trip to Circuit City followed shortly.

Comment

To play Civ. My old computer wasn't even capable of playing CivII! It was a 386, for chrissakes.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I get a new computer about every 3-4 years. My last one was custom-made by a friend of mine in MD who worked at a computer shop. It was a KMD 450 Mhz with 256 MB RAM.

I got my new computer last February. Basically, my old machine had (thanks to my roommate) gotten a virus on it, plus was clunky and riddled with some other problems. Finally, after having Civ3 and laboring through it, I had to get a new one.

So I got a Dell, dude! And I still it.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

My specs were adequate to play newer games, but I wanted better performance... and I had money to burn.

Athlon XP 1700+
                              512 meg RAM
                              GeForce 4 TI 4200 128meg
                              60 gig combined HD space
                              32x burner

Windows XP Home

my system specs... this is what I've been using since last year. I spent about $450 on my new computer.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X