Questions about and STD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about and STD

I've got a few questions concerning genital warts, perhaps some smart people here can educate me a bit. . .

1) Whats the soonest after contact with an infected person will a person start showing symptoms of genital warts?

2) If a person has warts on some other parts of their body (feet, hands, etc) can that spread to the genitals, or are those warts caused by a different virus?

3) Is there any safe, effective way to self-diagnose what might be genital warts (aside from having huge ass obvious warts on your genitals)

4) Is there any permanent treatment for them?

5) Is anyone here willing to admit they have them, and if so, describe how it's affected your life?

Thanks in advance, i'm sure this will help educate alot of people here, especially the younger people, myself included.
    -connorkimbro
    "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Oh, and no, before anyone asks, i do not think or know or suspect or in anyway believe i might have genital warts. smartasses.
    -connorkimbro
    "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

then why ask?
      Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

curiosity. i didn't know the answers to these questions, and i wanted to know. which brings up another question. . .

5) how come a person can't ask questions like this innocently, how come whenever a person shows any interest in knowing stuff like this, they're automatically suspect?

if you MUST know, i went to get an STD screening the other day (a few weeks ago). Not because i showed symptoms, but because it's the responsible thing to do from time to time. I am sexually active, so although i have no reason to believe i've caught anything, it's responsible to get checked once in a while.

Now, at the doctors office, inspite of how much they preach the very thing i just said, would not believe me when i told them that. They kept rolling eyes, and snickering, and making snide comments. I was getting quite irritated, but that's the stigma that goes along with it, i guess. I came up clean, by the way, so that sleep over for tonight is still on.
        -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

they did that at the doctors office? that is very unprofessional.

Comment

they did that at the doctors office? that is very unprofessional.

I thought so too, but remember, it was at an army clinic. those guys aren't known for top of the line medical care anyway. . .
            -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

Here's the facts

I dont work on HPV so there's not too much more I can add. I can say that it's probably underdiagnosed especially in women (note as well that 1/3 will have HPV but no identifying warts). A lot of the small amount of research is focussed on the links between HPV and cervical cancer. I have noticed in our discussions at "Grand Rounds" that genital warts are very common amongst HIV+ gay men.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

The perminent treatment is to burn them off. I don't know about you but I'd rather just where a jimmy then have to worry about lasering warts off of my keek.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by connorkimbro
                  Now, at the doctors office, inspite of how much they preach the very thing i just said, would not believe me when i told them that. They kept rolling eyes, and snickering, and making snide comments. I was getting quite irritated, but that's the stigma that goes along with it, i guess. I came up clean, by the way, so that sleep over for tonight is still on.
                  That was very unproffessional of them but then again the military doctors are often the drop outs who couldn't make it on the civilian side so I expect that from them.

My observation after 6 years in the Army.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

but does that protect you from warts? I don't know anything about it so could be talking crap...however i would think you could catch warts if you were wearing a condom or not.

Comment

from what i've read, condomns are pretty effective against the spread of genital warts. not 100%, but nothing is 100% i think, except abstinance.
                      -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

I had them when I was a 'kid', it was no big deal, I caught them early when they where just little polops (sp?). The treatment is to burn them off over serveral sessions, but the acid used doesn't 'seem?' to affect the living tissue (not sure how that works)

I went to the clinic and the woman Doctor started to paint the warts on my (by now) serverely shrivelled member, it seemed quite easy, so when she went out to let me get dressed (why do they do that, they've already seen you naked?) I stole a bottle of the acid so I cound burn them of myself and save myself the embarrasment of further sessions!

There was one guy who my ex worked with who wouldn't go to the doctors about then and they grew to the size of baked beans and then spead all around his anus! :O)

Comment

ouch

Comment

I doubt there is any (much) hard evidence that condoms prevent HPV infection, but common sense would say that they help so long as you use them for oral, genital, and anal sex (and whatever else you get up to)

The new 'immune creams' have pretty good efficacy against visible warts and they're painless.
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

do you wanna know about warts?? or herpes?

genital warts can be contracted and then go away without you ever knowing.

the HPV virus is one of the number one causes of Displasia in women (pre-cancerous cells forming in the cervix that can turn into full blown cancer if not treated in time).

Im sure condoms can definitiely help stop the spread.

Herpes is caused by a different virus....

look online for info..

Comment

Working...
                              X