Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sex education in schools

An interesting piece in the Grauniad

Mark Lawson: You learn about sex from life - not from what you're taught in school.

This bit made me fall off my chair

The fear, especially of the conservative and the religious, is that information will encourage promiscuity. But the educational system provides all the information necessary for literacy and numeracy, and yet many children restrain themselves from putting them into action
    Only feebs vote.

It's funny 'cos it's true.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I don't see what's wrong with the argument that teaching sex education makes kids have sex. No-one had sex before the damn schools ruined everything!

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon
        I don't see what's wrong with the argument that teaching sex education makes kids have sex. No-one had sex before the damn schools ruined everything!
        When we finally got to the age to have sex education half the class were already doing it... to the other half.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Sex ed should emphasize abstinence more.
          'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
          G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

The fact that we weren't taught about same-sex escapades certainly never stopped me

It's ridiculous that they think people won't follow their primal urges and somehow not informng children how to do it safely will make things better...

Comment

The fact that we weren't taught about same-sex escapades certainly never stopped me.
              Why didn't you join the Scouts? Despite their anti-gay rhetoric I know several gay people who lost their virginity at Scout camp.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat
                Sex ed should emphasize abstinence more.
                No it should emphasize doing it more and overcoming society's miserable scruples. Have you ever wondered why so many teens are depressed - it's because they need more sex.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

I was in the boys brigade - like the scouts, but more militarisitic and embarassing

I think mutual masturbation should be taught as a safe alternative to sex. Would curb the spread of STIs and unwanted pregnancies.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                    No it should emphasize doing it more and overcoming society's miserable scruples. Have you ever wondered why so many teens are depressed - it's because they need more sex.
                    Congratulations: that is the most wacko statement I have ever heard in my entire life.

Having more sex the way you describe, would just lead to even more unwanted pregnancies, more abortions, more teens that drop out of school, and more 16 year old mothers without a father cause the boyfriend freeked out and beat it.

We need to teach abstinence, so that teens learn to be more responsible. That way, they won't rush into things, and get pregnant at 15, or drop out of school to be with their loser boyfriend, or get an abortion. Sex is a serious thing.
                    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"

Comment

Congratulations: that is the most wacko statement I have ever heard in my entire life.

Having more sex the way you describe, would just lead to even more unwanted pregnancies, more abortions, more teens that drop out of school, and more 16 year old mothers without a father cause the boyfriend freeked out and beat it.
                      They're called condoms and are available everywhere.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

You may be sexually repressed.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

So if schools tell kids not to have sex, they won't - even though the media is constantly throwing at them?

Comment

So if schools tell kids not to have sex, they won't - even though the media is constantly throwing at them?
                            They don't even need to have the media tell them.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                              They're called condoms and are available everywhere.
                              yes, but not everyone is using them.

Sex ed is actively teaching kids about condoms and safe sex, and yet we still have a veritable epidemic in the US with unwanted pregnancies, STD's, and teens dropping out of school, etc...

So we are teaching kids about condoms, and we are still having a huge problem with unwanted pregnancies, STD's and other sex related problems. So, teaching about condoms must not be enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X