No announcement yet.

Car Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well if it was me i'd do it myself, but it's your time and money jahper, up to you.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I'm more mad at the fact that even preventative maintenance couldn't of stopped this from occuring. I am also really mad at the dealer for telling me I also need to get my radiator repaired when the fixed only a month ago... They will hear it from me
      Monkey!!!

Comment

yeah that's a bastard, is it just a hole in the rad?
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

If it's a hole then you can buy these radiator sealent kit for around $8.00 that might save you the cost of a new radiator.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I haven't ben in to check. However, I did notice that my coolant was leaking rather fast. The a-hole there told me that it was a leak from a hose... When they fix what is currently wrong I will check it out.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

yeah, you should check in to it, a new rad hose or patching a hole will cost about nothing and won't take too long either.

and you seem to be having a fairly rotten time with your garage, i take it you don't personally know any other mechanics?

Comment

Nope, until 2 months ago I have never had any problem with my truck. I had neglected to get a tune up, which I needed 10,000 miles ago, and I went about 5,000 over the maintenance schedule they tell me to do. When I took it in to get new tires, the mechanic there told me I had a radiator leak that I might want to get check out. I took it to the dealer and they should me the crack I had in the head pan, and they also noticed that my battery (which I have had for 5 years) was leaking and had eaten half-way through the battery cables... I had them replace eveything, figuring new was better than fixed, and besides I had never had a problem. Now, just over 1 month later I get this problem... The tow truck guy recommended me to another mechanic who he said was fair. Thus, once I get my truck back I will take it to this guy to check the radiator... Even if the dealer will do the work for free, which I think they should, I still don't want those grease monkeys messing with car anymore.

Just seems odd to me that ever since I took it to them I have been having one problem after another.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

well it takes a special talent for a mechanic to make a car worse. in my experiance when things go wrong, they go wrong all at once, so it could just be that, or they really have screwed something up by being sloppy and/or incompetant.

if i were you i'd just take it to this new guy, make sure everything is ok, and then remember to get it serviced regularly.

Comment

Yeah, I really F'd up.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jac de Molay

As opposed to the bulletproof quality of british models??

Ford had to buy jaguar out they sucked so bad...
                      I wouldn't buy a British car if my life depended on it, they are lumps of crap, I acknowledge that...I drive a Japanese car

Still doesn't avoid the fact that US cars do have an apalling reputation compared to their Japanese or German counterparts...what kind of international market do US cars have? They are big fuelguzzlers which are unreliable and are only any use if you are driving in a straight line, and ugly to boot. Admit it, no one likes your cars, you have next to no export market (remember, Ford and GM own subsidiaries in other countries, they don't make cacky US models).
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The American companies moved to localized production back in the 1930's so as to get around tarrifs and currency fluctuations. That means they aren't trying to export they're trying to build locally and increase market share. Still, the US is the world's largest auto producing nation and it is perpetually ranked 2-3 in auto exports. Not bad for a country which doesn't even make auto exports a priority.

As for American cars have a bad reputation in Europe that's just perception based upon not liking the design (i.e. to big, V-8 uses to much gas, etc...) then upon any real quality discepency.

European cars like Fiat, Rover, Renault, Puegout, and the like have true quality problems. I mean real pieces of **** which fall apart faster then you can blink your eyes.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Got the car out of hock this morning, the damage was $1200, and it still ain't squeeky clean. While it runs, the intake manifold is leaking coolant. It doesn't look like it was a radiator problem afterall, but they wanted to replace the whole intake! (starting at $500, just for parts)... I took it to two other mechanics this morning and got their quotes. They both said it would take some time to fix as the engine of mine is tightly packed, but the problem was definitly the gasket and not the intake itself... parts would be about $10, labor about $200... I could probably fix it myself, but what will take me 4 hours will take me at least 8, if I have the right tools...

Thus, the drama continue. I am never taking the truck back to the those rip-off artists again.
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

blimey you got screwed there mate

i don't know how your engine fits together, but the tools to fit a new gasket head are fairly common place, although it might just be better to get another garage to do it, and then you can be sure it's ok.

Comment

Never take a car to a dealership for repairs, unless it's an import. They'll jack you everytime, especially by saying they're using "certified" parts like Delco or Motorcraft. Local, independent mechanics are much better.

Still doesn't avoid the fact that US cars do have an apalling reputation compared to their Japanese or German counterparts...
                              Some models, sure. But do the japs and germans build anything other than matchbox-sized sedans and sport cars? Detroit builds models across a larger range, such as light, commercial, and heavy duty trucks, which ARE the best in the world. Domination in a few niche markets doesn't mean they're inherently better.

what kind of international market do US cars have?
                              Ford and GM have huge markets in Europe and South America for smaller models. Chyrsler much smaller.

(remember, Ford and GM own subsidiaries in other countries, they don't make cacky US models).
                              Um...you realize they many of these companies are using the same parts as their American counterparts, right? Must be no coincidence that Jaguar, for instance, picked up Car of the Year not too long ago.
                              "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Never take a car to a dealership for repairs, unless it's an import. They'll jack you everytime, especially by saying they're using "certified" parts like Delco or Motorcraft. Local, independent mechanics are much better.
                                Where were you on Monday!
                                Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X