Major NHL News!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major NHL News!

The Colorado Avalanche have reportedly signed free agents Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne to one-year contracts. Kariya will make $1.2 million (yes, you read that right!) next season, Selanne will earn $5.8 million. Kariya accepted the 88% pay cut to be reunited with his former teammate, and both men opted for less than their previous salaries (Selanne earned $6.5 million last year) to come to Colorado in hopes of winning the Stanley Cup.

Pierre Lacroix just made 29 other general managers look like chumps. I have no doubt he had this planned the moment that the Ducks announced they wouldn't tender a qualifying offer to Kariya, making him a UFA. While he's still got to replace the retired Patrick Roy, getting two such prolific snipers for such a bargain-basement price leaves him some flexibility to pick up another goaltender. He doesn't even need a very good one; with an offensive lineup boasting Kariya, Selanne, Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Milan Hejduk, and Alex Tanguay, you could probably slap a pair of rolled-up magazines in net and still win most games!

In other news, the Detroit Red Wings signed former Dallas defenceman Derian Hatcher to a 5-year contract paying $6 million per season, and have also activated their option on goaltender Dominik Hasek's contract for $8 million, fuelling the suspicion that Hasek will be returning to the NHL after retiring at the end of the 2001/2002 season.
    "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

$1.2 million? Holy crap.

Expect the rest of the NHL to snap up every goaltender with a pulse to prevent the Avs from getting anyone good.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Kariya AND Selanne??? And at that price???

Holy crap.

Pierre Lacroix just made 29 other general managers look like chumps.

Damn right he did! Sure they're only 1 year contracts, but still .... wow.
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

with an offensive lineup boasting Kariya, Selanne, Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Milan Hejduk, and Alex Tanguay, you could probably slap a pair of rolled-up magazines in net and still win most games!

It's funny 'cos it's true.
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Curtis Joseph will probably end up in Colorado since Detroit wants Hasek back.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

You think Detroit would give their arch-rivals a goalie after they just pulled off what is possibly the greatest free-agent coup in the history of professional sports?

Are you mad? The Wings would eat CuJo's $8 million and have him keep the bench warm for nine months before handing him over to the Avs, no matter what they offered in return.

Think this drives down the price of all the other free agents?
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
              Curtis Joseph will probably end up in Colorado since Detroit wants Hasek back.
              There's some speculation that Detroit activated Hasek's option in part to prevent Colorado from going after him. I agree with Guynemer; no way in hell will Detroit give Colorado a goaltender. Even the highly overrated Joseph could win it all with that Avalanche lineup in front of him!
              "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

Colorados offensive is reaaallly good. It was good this year but now? Uh oh! Do you think there are too much big stars though? Is it getting too one dimensional you think?

Yeah, Selänne wanted Kariya to be added in the contract so they can again play togehter, talking about a good deal though, Paul going for 1.2 million.. now that's a good deal for Colorado. I think they will also play good and score a lot, they're both in shape. Then with other players like Hejduk, Forsberg, Sakic.. what a nightmare for opponents and their defenses + goalies!
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

The West woudl be better off with Detroit giving CuJo to Colorado, the only team he can beat in the playoffs is Dallas, everyone else he just implodes

Comment

They should simply bring up a minor league goalie. With those lines they can stay in most games.

P.S. It's good to see my Avs working it this off-season.

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Woo-hoo! Go Av's!

Comment

"In other news, the Detroit Red Wings signed former Dallas defenceman Derian Hatcher"

Damn it! Forget hockey for me.
                        Watching Hatcher smoke a guy was my main reason to watch.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Now you can watch him Smoke some Stars!

ACK!

Comment

I KNOW THAT!
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

At least you still have the Cowboys.

ACK!

Comment

Working...
                              X