Weird foreign customs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird foreign customs.

I thought this might make a good idea for a thread. What are some of the weirdest, most bazaar, or just plan unusual cultural customs you've encountered? I know we all have a strange or embarrassing story from when we were on holiday or failing that we at least have stories about the weird things have doneo while visiting our own homelands.

I’ll start us off by telling a story about what happened to me when I was visiting Thailand. In Thailand all of the upper class fancy restaurants and night clubs have a bathroom (WC) attendant who’s dispenses mints, cologne, and the like. Nothing unusual there seeings how many western establishments do the same so what’s so weird? You see this attendant is also supposed to give the patrons a back massage while he takes a leak. I never knew that so I stumbled into the WC and began to take a piss when all of the sudden the attendant began giving me a back rub! I freaked out and almost hit the guy; I mean the last thing a guy wants is to have his shlong in his hands whilst another man rubs his back! I quickly finished taking a piss then I went and complained to the waitress about the bathroom attendant which is when I learned it was his job to give massages while men “handle their business”. Weird but nearly all of the places in Thailand did the same thing and… once you get used to it it’s not such a bad thing. Still it’s a little weird.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Re: Weird foreign customs.

Originally posted by Oerdin
    I freaked out and almost hit the guy; I mean the last thing a guy wants is to have his shlong in his hands whilst another man rubs his back
    In some circles that would be considered an acceptable "Hi, how are you?" Obviously Thai resturants and seedy underground gay leather saunas have something in common.
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

they have gays working the bathrooms and they CANE you for throwing eggs? what a country.
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

they say "Sieg Heil" all the time in Germany... sort of disturbing...

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
          they say "Sieg Heil" all the time in Germany... sort of disturbing...
          i find it refreshing.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

wanna visit and say it on TV?

Comment

When I visited Orlando, Florida, I noticed that the cars would stop for the pedestrians to walk across the street even if they were supposed to drive by. Now this is weird.
              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Uber KruX
                they have gays working the bathrooms and they CANE you for throwing eggs? what a country.
                Malaysia is the country which canes people.

Comment

I was cicumsized as a baby (not foreign, but definately a weird 'custom')... who the hell came up with that. i mean really, who was the brave soul that decided to circumsize himself... weird...
                  "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                  - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                  Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

don't you euro-bast3rds drown your food in mayonaisse?
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Malaysia is the country which canes people.
                      hrm... why was i thinking thiland?

etch, give me a free trip to Germany and i'll goosestep down to the Reistag, giving the good ol' salute to anyone i meet.

Comment

eugh!

yah I saw'em man, they ****ing drown em in this ****

BTW, friends that have been to the US know to report they do the same there

only fries, too. both pond sides.

Comment

I have another story though this one happened to a friend of mine who went on vacation in Turkey. Apparently Turkish bathrooms don't have any toilet paper in them and instead they have an old man who sits by the door and sells you liquid soap after you have used your bare hand to wipe your rear. :barf:

My friend didn't know this so he went in took a dump and then had to whip his behind with his hat (which he then left in the pit toilet) because he couldn't find anything else to use. Talk about a weird custom; I mean **** tickets (toilet paper) only cast a penny for a dozen or so sheets. Talk about cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Kramerman
                            I was cicumsized as a baby (not foreign, but definately a weird 'custom')... who the hell came up with that. i mean really, who was the brave soul that decided to circumsize himself... weird...
                            religious morons, i mean zealots, which were attempting to remove the pleasure from sex.

Comment

I heard that circumsition also has a weak but still useful effect of stopping infections. Back in the old (I'm talking old testiment) days men would get these infections and die. Circumsition prevented these infections.

Now days with modern hygiene this shouldn't be necissary but people keep it up for religious reasons. (i.e. every good Jew and Christian is supposed to get it done & the doctors assume you want it done to your kids unless you say other wise).

Comment

Working...
                              X