Bourgeious mansions in the cities...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bourgeious mansions in the cities...

I noticed something today... while most neighbourhoods here are made up of small rowhouses built in the 30's, 40's, and 50's, there's several neighbourhoods with turn of the century houses (and even older). These are huge single or double houses... three stories and huge (so huge that most people who live in them can't afford to heat more than one floor)... they used to be the homes of the factory owners and other bourgeious. they are now occupied by typical lower middle class urbanites with many delapitated and boarded up and now home to some drug activity.

ironic what became of the bourgeious mansions, eh?

does NYC and other cities have similiar situations with all the turn of the century mansions?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

I don't know about NYC, but in my home town all the Victorian-era homes and brick houses owned by famous businessmen, gamblers and hookers are all in the $350,000+ range. They don't fall into disrepair because the neighborhood is kept up and the rich around here are willing to pay astronomical prices.

Back in DC, all of the Colonial/Civil war era brick houses, especially in Georgetown and parts of NW can go for 1m+. If it's old, it's generally kept up and costs a pretty penny.
    If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

really timex? it's the opposite here in philly... all the old mansions are delapitated and lived in by people just above the poverty line.
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

It helps that we've got a century and a half of history that anchors a lot of tourism and a vibrant, well planned city that promotes historical preservation as much as development (The Historical Preservation Society has a veto over changes to buildings near the downtown and historical residences). A lot of money is poured into restoring historical buildings instead of tearing them down and gutting them. Our Preservation society is one of the more active that I've heard of upstate.

Comment

Timex:

nah but philly does have a historical society and independence hall and what not is preserved... it's just that the mansions (which are over a century newer than the revolutionary war era preserved buildings) outside of the downtown area are not. probably for the better... let people have more homes to live in

Comment

Affordable housing is something that we don't have much of in Saratoga. IIRC, a decent place anywhere within walking distance of all the basic places a person needs to go goes for~400. It gets cheaper if you live a town or two over. There has been calls for more public housing, but the stuff that's there now has a lot of law enforcement problems and maintence issues. Gentrification and whatnot soaks up all the housing that could be subdivided into individual apartments.

Comment

the problem with philly is it doesnt have anything of value there. its a dying city.
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

detroit is like that

the most abandonded houses i've ever seen in my life

Since 1999 Detroit's oldest and largest online community serving the international metropolis of Detroit - Windsor and suburbs
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

ted, id love to break into those factories and throw parties.
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Kind of odd to think one of worst ghettoes in New York (5 Points, "Gangs of New York") is now one of most expensive bits of real estate on the planet.

Guess these things go in cycles...
                    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                      ted, id love to break into those factories and throw parties.
                      Got a sound system? Then do it, Great fun.
                      Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                      "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

we don't have anything that big. But we do have a few older neighborhoods that are now considered "iffy" neighborhoods. They aren't overrun with crime yet, but they aren't good neighborhoods by a long shot. But I have seen a few three story homes.

Hell when Mike Tyson moved near Wayne Newtons' house- that neighborhood turned to **** Just kidding of course- that's still a good neighborhood.

Comment

cruddy, unfortunately id be out a few grand for a sound system, and decks...although i might be able to recoup them if enough people came. also i live in seattle which is a couple thousand miles away from detroit

Comment

ted, that link was great. i really appreciate it.

on the one hand i love the strong economies, and the development that goes with it but on the other hand i love seeing abandoned warehouses and monolithic manufacturing plant of a bygone era.

Comment

The first shall be last, and the last shall be first.
                              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Working...
                              X