Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any First World War veterans alive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albert Speer
    GePap:

nah... 12 monkeys barely included it at all. i wouldn't think that would count... there's even some brad pitt movie that my sister told me about that opens with a ww1 scene but those are just setting the times scenes not nothing significant.
    Actually, a River Runs through it does not begin with the Great War, and the episode is very significant, given that one brother (of three) dies in it, and the reprecusions of that haunt the other two brothers.

by the way, have you seen the Thin Red Line? whoever the director of that movie is, i'm surprised they haven't done a ww1 movie. it would fit their style i think
    The Thin Red Line was too long, and while the horribly mishapen landscapes of No Man's Land might have some surrealitcis beauty, I don' think his style would work too well once the plot or action had to come into place.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

WWII began w/ guys on horses and ended w/ nuclear weapons. seems like a pretty cool war as far as they go eh?

Comment

GePap:

really? Thin Red Line had that whole mountain scene where they just laid down in the grass (kind of like a trench) under a bombardment. when the action starts, he'd do a lot better at simulating ww1 than other directors because he actually had something similiar in thin red line.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

WWII began w/ guys on horses and ended w/ nuclear weapons. seems like a pretty cool war as far as they go eh?
          yeah, if millions of dead people is cool...

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
            yeah, if millions of dead people is cool...

I guess u dont like wars. lots of ppl are intrigued and fascinated by wars. and wwII is the mother of em all.

also ur a huge hater.

Comment

Yavoon:

WW1 began with guys in bright blue uniforms fighting in napoleonic/clausewitz formations and ended with tanks, poison gas, and fighter and bomber planes.

(the US in fact was planning a campaign of massive aerial bombardment on Germany for 1919)
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Yavoon:

WW1 began with guys in bright blue uniforms fighting in napoleonic/clausewitz formations and ended with tanks, poison gas, and fighter and bomber planes.

(the US in fact was planning a campaign of massive aerial bombardment on Germany for 1919)
                WWII still wins. horses--->nukes. GG!=]

Comment

also ur a huge hater.
                  how half your family dies in a car accident... and then I say "car accidents are cool"...

perhaps you should spend 5 minutes with a veteran of WW2 and ask if he thinks war is "cool"...
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sava and yavoon:

actually the reason why WW2 had several times more casaulties than WW1 was because it was bigger in scope. the percentage of soldiers who died in ww1 was far higher than ww2 (upwards of a quarter of british soldiers died in ww1 if i remember right and the british actually came off relatively well casaulty-wise compared to France and germany)

Comment

how half your family dies in a car accident... and then I say "car accidents are cool"...

perhaps you should spend 5 minutes with a veteran of WW2 and ask if he thinks war is "cool"...
                      I also like planes if u want I can go up to a relative of someone who died in a plane crash and go PLANES ROCK!

u r purposefully misunderstanding me so u can be petty and hateful.

Comment

GePap:
                        really? Thin Red Line had that whole mountain scene where they just laid down in the grass (kind of like a trench) under a bombardment. when the action starts, he'd do a lot better at simulating ww1 than other directors because he actually had something similiar in thin red line.
                        they were taking cover. Remeber the scene in Saving private Ryan where the captain and his boys sit in a trench launching mortar rounds by hand at the germans, or the late scene when the cavalry comes to the save and the young translator takes a whole row of germans firing form a trench prisoner? Just cause Speilberg filmed these scenes does not make me think he would be a genius for a WW1 movie.
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

BBC did a couple of decent TV series; "The Monocled Mutineer" and "ANZACS". Pretty sure latter was a co-production. If you see 'em, watch them... very good.

"Gallipoli" is an excellent modern war movie, and that's WW1.
                          Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                          "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Sava and yavoon:

actually the reason why WW2 had several times more casaulties than WW1 was because it was bigger in scope. the percentage of soldiers who died in ww1 was far higher than ww2 (upwards of a quarter of british soldiers died in ww1 if i remember right and the british actually came off relatively well casaulty-wise compared to France and germany)
                            why would u write this in response to nething I said? oh well. seems more random than nething else.

Comment

I also like planes if u want I can go up to a relative of someone who died in a plane crash and go PLANES ROCK!

u r purposefully misunderstanding me so u can be petty and hateful.
                              change that to PLANE CRASHES ROCK!

War sucks... it's not cool. No one is saying you can't be fascinated by it. I'm fascinated by war and humanity. I'm a huge fan of the history channel and programs on war. BUT WAR IS NOT COOL, unless one s some kind of pathetic ignorant sociopath...
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

change that to PLANE CRASHES ROCK!

War sucks... it's not cool. No one is saying you can't be fascinated by it. I'm fascinated by war and humanity. I'm a huge fan of the history channel and programs on war. BUT WAR IS NOT COOL, unless one s some kind of pathetic ignorant sociopath...
                                just expand ur definition of cool. I mean really? its a pretty versatile word for u to be pigeonholing just for the purpose of flaming me.

all very petty.

Comment

Working...
                                X