Sony must die!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony must die!

In May 2001, we bought a new TV for the living room: a Sony WEGA XBR400 36". It cost us $3500CDN at the time.

It was HDTV capable, excellent picture quality, etc.

We thought it'd be good for many years, because Sony supposedly is of quite good quality for electronics.

Well, here we are now, June 29th, 2003, with an expensive, heavy (~250lbs) TV and a warranty that expired in May 2003.

And the display is ****ed. The top-left of the screen usually has an onscreen display thing that shows the current video mode (TV, DTV, DVD, etc) that's usually bright green in color. And now, it's blue but slowly fades into cyan near the bottom corner of the label.

I thought it may have just changed the setting somehow inadvertently, but I couldn't find any settings. And the menu itself on the TV looked different, I can't explain it really because I can't remember the old one, but the colors looked off.

So I tried booting up the Xbox to see if it was just the video connector on the digital cable box, but the Xbox also looked screwed up. The colors in the games were all noticably off, including some tie-die styled backgrounds that should be blueish...

Grrr!!

Are these things engineered to self-destruct after their warranty period?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

That happened with my TV when I placed my speakers too close to it. You haven't put any devices that generate magnetic fields close to it, have you?
    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

None at all, we've had the same setup unchanged since the week we bought it...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

maybe all your raging about apple created an EMP field so strong that it destroyed the tv

Comment

Your X-box probably has a secret function that destroys any products made by Microsoft's rival Sony. Seems like something Billy and Co. would do.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Watch out Bob Hope, you've got some competition!!!!

Comment

Bob Hope was the best comedian you could think of? You're a weird guy, Dave.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

No, he's one of the worst. Why do you think I chose him?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                    Your X-box probably has a secret function that destroys any products made by Microsoft's rival Sony. Seems like something Billy and Co. would do.
                    Actually, I take that back. This can be quite funny!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Please don't tell me you sat there and recorded yourself saying that.
                      "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

No, I used a stock clip from the internet...

Comment

i was taught that many companies do statistical analysis on their products, to see when the breakdown point for most of em are, and then set the warranty expiration date to shortly before that. Statistically, they know they will have to fork out for some products that are extraneous and break down early, but most break down after that point. And of course they go thru all this trouble to begin with because i product that has a waranty of somekind is initially much more attarctive to the layman than a competing product that doesnt have a warranty.
                          "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                          - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                          Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

He's done pretty well for a "bad" comedian. Most performers would love being revered as a national treasure.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                              He's done pretty well for a "bad" comedian. Most performers would love being revered as a national treasure.
                              Replace "treasure" with "turd" and you've got yourself a winner.

If Bob Hope is a funny comedian, perhaps this is by American comedic standards.

Comment

Working...
                              X