No announcement yet.

Incredible Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, my Qiwi has an AthlonXP 2500+ (not OCed during the summer), 1 GB of RAM, and will have 60 GB of drive space once I get RAID running.

But we're working with the MC68HC11 microcontroller in one of my classes this semester, and it's really amazing. The 6811 has a processor clocked at 2MHz, 64K of addressable space, and five registers (two 8-bit accumulators, two 16-bit index registers, and the CCR). And when you get down to the basic structure, two million cycles is really a lot to work with. When each opcode takes just a few cycles, and it does $0000 to $FFFF in 32.77 ms, you can really do a lot of comparatively complex stuff very quickly on that little device.

SP
    I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

Check out my first computer

Sinclair ZX81 with membrane keyboard and a whole 1K of RAM; later upgraded to a whopping 16K.
      Attached Files
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Fve Crathva
        But we're working with the MC68HC11 microcontroller in one of my classes this semester, and it's really amazing. The 6811 has a processor clocked at 2MHz, 64K of addressable space, and five registers (two 8-bit accumulators, two 16-bit index registers, and the CCR). And when you get down to the basic structure, two million cycles is really a lot to work with. When each opcode takes just a few cycles, and it does $0000 to $FFFF in 32.77 ms, you can really do a lot of comparatively complex stuff very quickly on that little device.
        Really, you are using that? Cool!

When I was an undergrad one of the projects was to build an infrared phone. I used the 68HC11 for the embedded controller. Nice little component.

The 65C02 is still probably widely used, just because it's basically a RISC (one instruction per clock cycle).
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
          Check out my first computer

Sinclair ZX81 with membrane keyboard and a whole 1K of RAM; later upgraded to a whopping 16K.
          All right! That was an excellent little computer for its time.
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
            The 65C02 is still probably widely used, just because it's basically a RISC (one instruction per clock cycle).
            :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You have a deranged idea of RISC... but never mind the geekspeak.

Never owned one myself Agathon... but I first bit of software I bought was to play on a freinds.
            Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
            "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy
              That's one of the most important criteria for a RISC.

Comment

Can't say I've advanced much in computer terms over the years. The first computer I got was an Amiga 1200 when I was 10, and I upgraded that over the years (at one point it had 18meg of RAM and a 250MB hard disk; that was a lot for an Amiga), until I finally got a PC of my own a few months ago - A P266.
                "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

NEW PROBLEM!

I guess that I have gone a little crazy with the wireless thing. I got my old 233 Mhz out of the attic and was going to install it on my wireless network so the kids could access the internet. There was an old pokemon program that started when you booted up. Like a DUMMIE I removed it from the statup folder. Now when I try to boot all I get are beeps. The monitor does nothing! I'm lost! Am I in for a trip to the repair shop or can I do anything?
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Sounds like something has come loose on the motherboard. Make sure everything is slotted in securely.
                    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Checking now. Thanks!
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                        they're semiconductors. for some reason, those impurities make them run faster, cooler, and better.
                        That's dope

Well I am looking at getting a new system once I have some debts sorted out and I should be able to go pretty much top of the range in a desktop (I am not too concerned about portability). 3.2GHz with 1Gb RAM would do me at the moment, but let's see what happens in the next few months, which is the timescale over which I will be looking at buying a new computer system...
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy
                          :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I hate to side with Urban, but he's right on this one.

One of the main tenants of RISC processors is that every instruction can be completed in at most one clock cycle.

His wording may have been a tad vague, but I think he had the right idea.

One of the deranged ideas out there is that RISC is better than CISC, and vice versa. Modern architectures are hybrids.
                          Last edited by Asher; July 1, 2003, 13:13.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                          X