X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slavery yet again in the USA?

Bush Plan May Cut Overtime for Millions
    By LEIGH STROPE, AP Labor Writer

WASHINGTON - More than 8 million professionals would lose their overtime pay under a Bush administration proposal to change the types of jobs that must receive more money for extra work, says a study by a union-supported think tank.

The analysis being released Thursday by the Economic Policy Institute is among the first to assess how many workers might be affected by the Labor Department (news - web sites)'s revisions to the overtime rules, which were proposed in March.

Businesses and labor unions agree that the current Fair Labor Standards Act regulations are confusing and antiquated. But they disagree about how to update them.

The Labor Department estimated that under its proposal, at least 644,000 well-paid, white-collar workers would lose overtime pay for working more than 40 hours a week, while 1.3 million lower-wage workers now exempt from overtime would become eligible, or must receive a raise.

Overall, nearly 22 million workers could be affected, though specific jobs and their status could not be determined, officials said.

But the institute says the department "woefully underestimates" the changes that would occur if the proposal is implemented.

In 78 job classifications that the group examined out of 257 white-collar occupations, an estimated 8 million workers would lose their right to overtime pay.

Another 1.3 million people would lose overtime pay under the proposed salary test that exempts all nonmanual workers earning $65,000 or more, regardless of their duties.

The new definitions of professional, administrative and executive employees remove specific duties and education requirements, giving employers wide latitude to reclassify their workers, the study says.

Among the millions of jobs that will lose overtime, according to the study: emergency medical technicians, paralegals, licensed practical nurses, draftsmen, surveyors, reporters, editors, chefs, cooks, dental hygienists and health technicians.

Workers covered by union contracts will not be affected.

Labor Department officials say the changes renew the focus on low-wage earners, which the law was intended to protect. Business groups long have complained that the convoluted rules require overtime pay for already well-compensated and highly skilled professionals while ignoring those at the bottom.

Monday is the last day to submit comments on the proposal.
    I guess this means more work and no pay.
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

That's not slavery - that's a wage cut. Quite often in an "economic downturn" AKA a recession.
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Actually... I think there have been a couple of threads done on this subject already
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

hopefully this regressive president will be voted out in 2004 and we can focus on repairing America.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I am not really clear on why overtime pay isn't mandatory in all hourly wage positions. Would anyone care to clarify?
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Would anyone care to clarify?
            Because evil, greedy bastards have too much power in America.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
              Actually... I think there have been a couple of threads done on this subject already
              There have.

This is good news people! Many of these folks receive both salary and commissions. (Such as my staff) and really wish to work more so that they can supplament their incomes through commissions. These archaic laws are actually hurting many of the people that you guys think you are trying to protect.
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                hopefully this regressive president will be voted out in 2004 and we can focus on repairing America.
                The previous "progressive" prez screwed it bad enough, thank you.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

The whole purpose of overtime is to prevent bosses from violating the 8-hour day. If you want more work, get a second job!
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The previous "progressive" prez screwed it bad enough, thank you.
                    Clinton's presidency, as a whole, I would consider good. Despite what problems there were, our country was better off in 2000 than in 1992. Bush's presidency has been a disaster. The economy has gone from bad to bad, he's seriously ****ed up in the middle east, and now we're stuck in Iraq for probably the next 20 years. I only pray that Howard Dean gets into office.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I really don't see the reason in making people work overtime, at all. why not measure people's job according to what they did, and not how much time they spent doing it?
                      Last edited by Az; June 26, 2003, 16:41.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                        The whole purpose of overtime is to prevent bosses from violating the 8-hour day. If you want more work, get a second job!
                        You lucky, lucky Yanks. Over here pretty soon it will be illegal to work over 48 hours per week unless you are self employed.

What happens? All the low paid workers get told they are now self employed and have to sort out their own tax and national insurance (national health scheme payment).

Result? A lot of "workers" actually do 60 hours. Some junior doctors actually do 65+.

It's not like they get paid huge amounts for doing it.
                        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Overtime isn't a question of quality of work. It's about the time spent doing it.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I wanted to say "why not..." , Sava.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

I wanted to say "why not..." , Sava.
                              Ah!
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X