No announcement yet.

Thought of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The quote never speaks of contentment". All is says is that if you are still driven to gain more money, more compliments or publiity, you have probalby not yet reached what you personaly would believe to be success.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I would agree with that. Success is relative.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat

The quote is not saying that only the poor and the unknown are succesfull. It is saying that you can be successful without obsessing about money or popularity.

The person who is content with his job and his life will probably be happier than the person who obsesses about not making enough money or not getting invited to enough social events. That is what the quote is about, IMO.

Just look at the Hollywood celebrities. They have millions of dollars, live in amazing houses, and are worshipped by thousands of adoring fans, and yet many of them are absolutely miserable.
        How many of these celebs give away their wealth, throw off their family ties, and go be happy bums behind 7-11s then?

Not many. Gee, you'd have thought THEY might have read this guy.

After careful consideration, I have to admit that he's right - if you are happy, then it's pointless to want those 3 things.

Mind you, next time the sh1t hits the fan and you suddenly aren't happy anymore, they become important pretty quick.

And is it the one who wrote "the electric kool-aid acid test" which I have heard of, or the one who didn't?

I'm still none the wiser. Is it Thom or Thomas? You quote shows Tom, the website shows Thomas, and I'm left thinking a guy I might be teneously aware of wrote something I learned the hard way anyway.
        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

You know Thomas Wolfe lived and wrote his novels in my hometown.
          "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

After careful consideration, I have to admit that he's right - if you are happy, then it's pointless to want those 3 things.

Mind you, next time the sh1t hits the fan and you suddenly aren't happy anymore, they become important pretty quick.
            The quote says nothing of happiness, it addresses success... I, for one, deliniate those two things differently. I view success as away to bring hapiness through those 3 things. Not having to worry about those 3 things sure ca bring happiness, that's for sure, but it does not equate to succes in my opinion, nor does it gaurentee hapiness.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

No I don't. I'd never heard of the guy till 3 and a half hours ago.
              Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
              "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

thorn, which wolfe?

the quote is by the one who didn't write the electric kool-aid acid test, iirc.
                B♭3

Comment

This Wolfe
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

wow, i must be more tired than i thought... i forgot you could see where a poster was from by looking under his name.

oy.
                    B♭3

Comment

Working...
                    X