No announcement yet.

Belgium gives in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there an expert in Belgian penal law here to discuss the issue on the facts rather than some silly huffpuff jingoistic drivel?

I think DD just answered that question.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

When they're at the cocktail party in the sky.
      The award I remember is for most gratuitous use of the word "****" in a serious film. Don't remember any Belgian stuff...
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

The award I remember is for most gratuitous use of the word "****" in a serious film. Don't remember any Belgian stuff...
        How very odd... why would that not be in one version...
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

I thought Belgium was neutral from the end of Napoleonic wars on. Did they cease being neutral after end of WWI and then reclaim neutrality in 1936?
          Yeah, we had some kind of alliance with the French (which IIRC is also the reason why the Maginot line wasn't continued along the French-Belgian border)
          In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
          In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

Originally posted by GP

Please expand. What did they expect the neutrality to do for them?
            To appease the Germans, I guess...

Comment

The real irony is that the US in many cases assumes jurisdiction over actions by foreigners committed outside the US.

Manuel Noriega is one simple example.

US parties (and any non-US party which can demonstrate it has standing to sue under US law) can sue non-citizens in US Federal courts for torts allegedly committed outside the US by foreign nationals or foreign governments.

In Afghanistan and Iraq, the US routinely treats individuals under US military law, whether or not they're actually subject to military jurisdiction under the UCMJ.

It's funny how we ***** and cry when someone else does it, though.
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                The real irony is that the US in many cases assumes jurisdiction over actions by foreigners committed outside the US.

Manuel Noriega is one simple example.

US parties (and any non-US party which can demonstrate it has standing to sue under US law) can sue non-citizens in US Federal courts for torts allegedly committed outside the US by foreign nationals or foreign governments.

In Afghanistan and Iraq, the US routinely treats individuals under US military law, whether or not they're actually subject to military jurisdiction under the UCMJ.

It's funny how we ***** and cry when someone else does it, though.
                I certainly have no objections to puting our own house in order. It does seem that we've done a better job of keeping our courts from being used by every nutter with a desire to destroy the nation state though.
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by August Borms

To appease the Germans, I guess...
                  Not a very effective strategy. Maybe they should have continued the Maginot line on their East instead.

Comment

See maniacs post lower down the page.
                    Last edited by alva; June 26, 2003, 20:23.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Throughout history france has always had a keen interest in Flanders and the Netherlands.
                      When in 1830 belgium was created (only 18 years after the last napoleontic war) its neutrality was therefore guaranteed by england.

This in fact is the actual reason england used to declare war on the germans in the first world war. After the first world war, the international community of that time gave us our neutrality back (a habit i guess)...
                      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by GP

Not a very effective strategy. Maybe they should have continued the Maginot line on their East instead.
                        I don't think it would have mattered much. Eben-Emael, for example, was superior to the French forts and considered to be invincible by French and British military experts. The Germans neutralized it in 20 minutes.
                        There was perhaps enough time and money left for 1 similar fort, so...

And even then, they would have still skipped the Ardennes

And it was probably better to be a neutral country under German occupation than a country allied to the French under German occupation

Comment

alva:

The reason Belgium was created was to act as a buffer zone between Germany and France a couple of decades before. I don't think we were in any position to hold any of them of.
                          Germany didn't exist in 1830. In 1815 though, the United Netherlands were created to act as a buffer against France. But then in 1830 Belgium revolted (to the great joy of France of course). So Belgium wasn't "created".

dannubis:

After the first world war, the international community of that time gave us our neutrality back (a habit i guess)...
                          Are you sure? AFAIK it's exactly because of WWI we ceased being neutral between 1919 and 1936.

GP:

That's easy to say afterwards. At the time being neutrality probably was a rational strategy. For example it worked for the Netherlands in WWI.
                          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by August Borms

Yeah, we had some kind of alliance with the French (which IIRC is also the reason why the Maginot line wasn't continued along the French-Belgian border)
                            hi ,

*cough* eben emael and the fortifications along many cities and rivers prove other wise , .....

but thanks to the economical crisis in the thirties albert the first decided he would use the money elsewhere , .....

one of the reasons he gave up after 18 days , .....

the original treaty can be seen on display in the army museum in brussels , ....

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                              The reason Belgium was created was to act as a buffer zone between Germany and France a couple of decades before. I don't think we were in any position to hold any of them of.
                              Don't you think, you would have been better off continueing the wall? How well did your passive strategy work out for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
                                alva:

That's easy to say afterwards. At the time being neutrality probably was a rational strategy. For example it worked for the Netherlands in WWI.
                                Looks like poor judgement. And cowardice and laziness.

Comment

Working...
                                X