No announcement yet.

Big Brother Comes To Wal-mart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employees know how to get around those. The last study I saw, (sorry no link) showed that employees accounted for more merchandise ripped off then customers.

RAH
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Damnit, no longer will I be able to walk through Wal-Mart switching barcodes on products.

(Another favorite was to mark over all the code with a black magic marker, or if you felt crafty, fill in certain areas.)

Really, there aren't any privacy woes yet. Besides, the worst thing Wal-Mart would want to do with this is learn that I buy outrageous amounts of Dr. Pepper and thus try to suggestive-sell a bottle when I'm at the check-out counter. However, I don't want that bottle costing more just because of their "anti-theft" measures. Hopefully they won't add it to the price, in the assumption that the better inventory control pays off for the sixty or so cents per product.
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

The guy I talked too about it last night, claimed it was closer to 10 cents a chip once the proper quantities are considered. So they should generate savings that can be partially passed on to the customer.

Those coupons on the back of your reciepts in some stores are generated based on what you buy. e.g. you buy a large Dr. Pepper and are given a coupon on your next purchase of a case. But they are not based on your buying history since your purchase history is not on-line in those stores, just in the marketing companies dB. When I worked there, I was tasked with quality control over that dB. Man was it a mess.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The point is that individual tracking of units is no better than bar-code (i.e. only on product level) tracking, if you want to monitor customer behaviour. It makes no difference to the store's profile of you if they know

(A) Bar code: you bought a Dr.Pepper at June 24 at 20:06, which that day was sold at reduced price

(B) RFID: you bought a Dr.Pepper on June 24 at 20:06, manufactured on May 1 at factory X at 08:25, transported to the main warehouse on May 2, transported to the store on May 3, and put on the shelf on June 20. That day Dr.Pepper was sold at reduced price.

However, what they do know is that the store bought a far too big stock of Dr.Pepper at the beginning of May.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane
            The point is that individual tracking of units is no better than bar-code (i.e. only on product level) tracking, if you want to monitor customer behaviour. It makes no difference to the store's profile of you if they know

(A) Bar code: you bought a Dr.Pepper at June 24 at 20:06, which that day was sold at reduced price

(B) RFID: you bought a Dr.Pepper on June 24 at 20:06, manufactured on May 1 at factory X at 08:25, transported to the main warehouse on May 2, transported to the store on May 3, and put on the shelf on June 20. That day Dr.Pepper was sold at reduced price.

However, what they do know is that the store bought a far too big stock of Dr.Pepper at the beginning of May.
            hi ,

see , one positive thing from it , .....

an economy shall have way more efficiency with it and shall be able to work way better on the old supply versus demand , ........

btw , several of them tags shall have the writting " made in Israel " , ......

have a nice day
            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
            X