Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sava
    I would tax fast food.

I would put a 15% sales tax on Junk Food (food that has lots of calories but not a lot of nutrients, Pizza is NOT junk food, it is fattening, but it has lots of nutrients). I would also try to ban the quack ads, like Slim Fast, the Hollywood Liquid Diet, and Stacker2; they cause Yo-Yo dieting.

Comment

Obesity is indeed putting an insane amount of pressure onto the healthcare system and in addition to malpractice premiums yes it is contributing to higher insurance premiums.

Being overweight carries so many health risks with it.

Obesity is part of the larger overall problem that American society is experiencing, and that is BURNOUT. Everything is moving so fast there is no time to slowdown.

Will the trend ever reverse itself? Is it a snowball out of control? Will Americans wake up one day and start focusing on quality of life issues the way Eurocoms do? And how can we do this without sending our national income into bankruptsy?

Stay tuned....
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's

But it's the fat people and their decisions who cost society, not the companies that feed their demand.
        That's like saying pushing heroin is OK, and it's the end users that cause the problems.

Sure, the sugar companies will pass on the tax hit to the consumer - and that will reduce the amount of obesity while generating tax revenue to deal with the health risks.

It's a solution, rather than penalizing the addict and letting the supplier get away with making people dependant.
        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

I would put a 15% sales tax on Junk Food (food that has lots of calories but not a lot of nutrients, Pizza is NOT junk food, it is fattening, but it has lots of nutrients). I would also try to ban the quack ads, like Slim Fast, the Hollywood Liquid Diet, and Stacker2; they cause Yo-Yo dieting.

You like Pizza, heh?
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

although I should add that taxes never change lifestyle.

People still smoke and drink alcohol. They cut from other areas of their life

this is an addiciton of sorts.

And slim fast can work if you stick to it. But you are supposed to only drink the shake for breakfast and lunch (I think that's how it goes). But I'm sure many people add snacks in with those shakes, thus increasing their calorie count.

Comment

Are you fat Dissident?

And how come brothers like chicks with a fat ass?
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel

You like Pizza, heh?
                Um, well...

Comment

Italian pizza is alot more healthy because it has WAY less:

1) cheese
                  2) bread

Comment

I am not fat right now. Although I'm still about 10 pounds above my ideal weight I had in high school. I recently lost 33 pounds, and am still going.

Like I said above, it feels great. I feel so much better. I sweat less, don't have dizzy spells when I go without food, feel great getting out of bed, love being more agile, and most importantly- I enjoy sex more.

Comment

How'd you lose all the weight?

Comment

I ate less calories than I burned

seriously though, I just ate less food. I cut my serving size in half for my breakfast and lunch. Actually right now I am eating 1/3 the amount I used to eat for breakfast. I still eat 3 meals a day however. I also cut out drinking soda- my metabolism is just too low for me to take in all those calories from soda.

I think a big problem is people eat more food than they used to- as in my case. I remember day when a quarter pounder with cheese would be enough, but then eventually I had to get double quater pounders with cheese. The problem is obvious.. Eating too much food.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

what if ur eating healthy home made mash potato, home fries, pasta but a lazy **** who couches all day?

Tax people according to BMI. I guess "genetically screwed" whiners would complain so just give lame tax break to people who can medically get something from their doctor.
                          :-p

Comment

Cutting soda out is one of the best things that anybody can do. I see alot of computer guys that destroy themselves by drinking 6 cans of that crap a day...

Comment

You like Pizza, heh?

I thought the SAME thing, Az .

That's the problem with a Junk Food tax, deciding what is 'junk' and what is 'healthy'.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Put me in charge of it, I know excatly what sucks and what doesn't.

Seriously.

My sh1t is doctorate level skill.

Comment

Working...
                                X