Why Do Women Have Breasts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do Women Have Breasts?

Stop laughing! I'm serious here. (Well, sort of.)

Think about it for a second. The milk glands/ducts do *not* need the fatty tissues that compose female breasts to do their job, which is to provide nourishment to newborns (and a boost to their immune systems).

So what evolutionary trait drove the development of irrelevant tissues, and why? Females of other Earthly persuasions don't seem to have any problems procreating w/o breasts (but do have the prerequisite milk glands/ducts).

And, no, I'm not drunk.

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Re: Why Do Women Have Breasts?

Originally posted by Gatekeeper

And, no, I'm not drunk.

Gatekeeper
    Yes, you are drunk.

cheers
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Females of all higher mammals have breasts (even cows do ). It's just that for apes, they don't have breasts all year around - only humans do. But then, IIRC, humans are the only primates that have sex all year around.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

for men to oggle!
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Re: Re: Why Do Women Have Breasts?

Originally posted by MrFun
          Yes, you are drunk.

cheers
          No, no. If I were, I'd have to follow 'Poly tradition that dicates the inclusion of rambling sentences, wrongly-spelled words, and other non-sensical stuff.

See, this is the sort of stuff I post when I have nothing better to do on an early Sunday morning (3:01 a.m. CST USA).

Gatekeeper
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
            Females of all higher mammals have breasts (even cows do ). It's just that for apes, they don't have breasts all year around - only humans do. But then, IIRC, humans are the only primates that have sex all year around.
            Hey, good point. Sex year-round for us. Well, most of us.

Comment

because breasts would look silly on men?

Comment

Usually in the animal-world the butt is used as the part of the female to atract males. But all those animals walk on 4 feet. While the Butt still has relevance in the Human World it doesnt stick out that much, since Humans walk in standing pos. . Ergo some other thing with the requirment to be very visible in standing pos. had to be invented to atract males...
                This is why there are breasts
                If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                  for men to oggle!
                  Typical teen response! You won't be so flippant when you grow your own pair ... oh, wait, you're a male. Scratch that! (Hopefully.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                    because breasts would look silly on men?
                    Heh. I agree, and yet, year in and year out, there are more males choosing to turn into females than females turning male. The female form is nature's "standard" blueprint; the male form is the "aberration," so to speak. Necessary, yes, but an aberration nevertheless.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Originally posted by DanielXY
                      Usually in the animal-world the butt is used as the part of the female to atract males. But all those animals walk on 4 feet. While the Butt still has relevance in the Human World it doesnt stick out that much, since Humans walk in standing pos. . Ergo some other thing with the requirment to be very visible in standing pos. had to be invented to atract males...
                      This is why there are breasts
                      Hey, not bad ... **LOL**

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper

Typical teen response! You won't be so flippant when you grow your own pair ... oh, wait, you're a male. Scratch that! (Hopefully.)
                        id get breasts if someone payed me
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

here's another reason

the shape is probably easier for infants to find and grasp onto with their mouths.

watch, I'll get banned for that.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                            id get breasts if someone payed me
                            Ha! You'd best be careful what you say when on 'Poly in regards to stuff like that. I wouldn't be surprised if someone attempts to take up a collection for you, MRT, and then you'd have to go through with your promise!

Gatekeeper

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                              here's another reason

the shape is probably easier for infants to find and grasp onto with their mouths.

watch, I'll get banned for that.
                              Aww, I bet Ming's heart will melt when he sees the beautiful picture of motherhood that you posted, Dissident. But then you'd still have to hop rah's heart melts, too.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X