Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christianity Corner - Resurrection

I have been thinking about this concept for a while

now I happen to beleive in the Resurrection (As in after we die, we will be Resurrected in the Earth made new) - (because God is this all powerful guy, so why not?)

now there was a period of time (rather recent in fact), where, while I did sorta wish to live forever (be resurrected after my death), the thought that I might not (too sinful, would not get along well in heaven) bothered me a little but I sorta had a "well, whatever happens happens" sort of view point on it

basically being resurrected was not too important to me, it was just an extra cherry for you if you loved God and would like it there

after talking to my brother (very religious) on the way back from my father's funeral I changed my mind (to put it more bluntly, I argued, and lost) and now feel that the resurrection (of people) is important

now I have heard it accused that people are christians just because of the comfort of an afterlife

but I also know many christians who do not really beleive in heaven or an earth made new or any other form of afterlife

and I was a christian (I think) when the afterlife was not important to me

I was talking to a freind (who is very evangelical) and when she said why she followed God, the resurrection did not place itself in her statements (basically she followed God because He is God and she loves him)

so basically I am wondering

if you are christian

do you beleive in the physical resurrection?

and if so, is it important for your reasons to follow Christ? (not to beleive in Him, but to follow Him)

Jon Miller
    BTW I was reading 1st Corinthians 15
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Jon,

Interesting question, but an easy one to answer.

I've never had trouble believing in God or resurrection, but that's just me.

The idea of going off to live with God, eternally praising Him seems like a lovely idea to me, and since I believe in God, and I believe that He is alive and that He is outside of space and time itself, and that He is all-powerful, I have always thought that if He could create us, there is no reason that He could not also grant us eternal life after this shadow that we call "life" is over and done with.

It always seemed also for me that living forever in heaven seemed a heck of a lot better than winding off in hell...
    Empire growing,
    Pleasures flowing,
    Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

why do i imagine a over the top gay dude in a cartigan sweater and wave haircut hosting "christianity corner"
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Great post Jon!

There is no real afterlife as such, the afterlife as we know it is "real life", what we are doing here on earth is but a mere sideshow of sorts, a brief episode in our learning. It is difficult to put into words, but we as humans are too caught up in this life, thinking of it as the main event, so to speak, and the afterlife as a "cherry on the cake", as you say. So if you're asking if I believe in a ressurection after this current life as monkspider, the Kansas inhabitant, I would say, of course, it nearly goes without saying. I just don't really think of it as ressurection, per se, but as a, how can I put this, a return to the default postion. As I said, words are so cumbersome sometimes.

Why do I follow Jesus? He is the greatest teacher, and the most enlightened soul to ever walk the earth. He lived such a perfect life that he became one with God, and literally conquered death. He helped create a paradigm for us all to follow. Who could possibly be someone better to follow?

PS- I am sorry to hear about your dad Jon. I offer my condolensces.
        http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't know. I guess you might have been taking too much tea again.
          Empire growing,
          Pleasures flowing,

Comment

Originally posted by History Guy
            Jon,

Interesting question, but an easy one to answer.

I've never had trouble believing in God or resurrection, but that's just me.

The idea of going off to live with God, eternally praising Him seems like a lovely idea to me, and since I believe in God, and I believe that He is alive and that He is outside of space and time itself, and that He is all-powerful, I have always thought that if He could create us, there is no reason that He could not also grant us eternal life after this shadow that we call "life" is over and done with.

It always seemed also for me that living forever in heaven seemed a heck of a lot better than winding off in hell...
            ok, you answered my first question

what about my second

how important is the resurrection of the dead to your decision to follow Christ

Jon Miller
            - who doesn't beleive in hell (as often depicted, if anything can be called hell it is this earth)
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

BTW

my references to an afterlife are merely the use of english terms

I do not beleive that there is any existance divorced from our physical bodies

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider
                Great post Jon!

There is no real afterlife as such, the afterlife as we know it is "real life", what we are doing here on earth is but a mere sideshow of sorts, a brief episode in our learning. It is difficult to put into words, but we as humans are too caught up in this life, thinking of it as the main event, so to speak, and the afterlife as a "cherry on the cake", as you say. So if you're asking if I believe in a ressurection after this current life as monkspider, the Kansas inhabitant, I would say, of course, it nearly goes without saying. I just don't really think of it as ressurection, per se, but as a, how can I put this, a return to the default postion. As I said, words are so cumbersome sometimes.

Why do I follow Jesus? He is the greatest teacher, and the most enlightened soul to ever walk the earth. He lived such a perfect life that he became one with God, and literally conquered death. He helped create a paradigm for us all to follow. Who could possibly be someone better to follow?

PS- I am sorry to hear about your dad Jon. I offer my condolensces.
                thanks

I can see a little budhism in your thoughts, I think

and I understand your reason for following Christ, it is similiar to my own

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

As far as hell goes, I've never had much trouble believing in that, either. I've always suspected, though, that it was something much nastier than being poked about by devils and having your feet set on fire... No, it is total isolation from God.

How important? Well, I suppose it is quite important. It isn't the only reason, of course. As I said, though, I've never had trouble believing in the Christian God.

I suppose, as you say about your father, the idea of loved ones living forever is a comfort, and that certainly helps, but it isn't all.
                  Empire growing,
                  Pleasures flowing,

Comment

When each of us die, we face our particular judgement from God. Their our souls is given an individual judgement from God. If we are not damned, then our soul will face eternal life.

Ressurection of the body will not come for us until the General Judgement, at the end of the world. (this is best depicted under Matthew with the sheeps and goats speech). There we will be reunited with our physical bodies and stand in judgement before God.
                    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

actually I am not at all sure that my father will live again forever in comfort

if he would be happy, I would hope he would though

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                        When each of us die, we face our particular judgement from God. Their our souls is given an individual judgement from God. If we are not damned, then our soul will face eternal life.

Ressurection of the body will not come for us until the General Judgement, at the end of the world. (this is best depicted under Matthew with the sheeps and goats speech). There we will be reunited with our physical bodies and stand in judgement before God.
                        second question

is the resurrection important for your reason to be a christian?

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

JM: Not at all. When I was younger, yes, but now, no.
                          http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider
                            JM: Not at all. When I was younger, yes, but now, no.
                            is this in reference to my budhism comment?

Jon Miller
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

"
                              Jon Miller
                              - who doesn't beleive in hell (as often depicted, if anything can be called hell it is this earth)"

This reminds me monkspider, you didn't reply to my last post in your Hell thread. Ah well, we can discuss here.

Unfortunately some people get caught thinking Hell is some place with fire and brimstone where men in red tights poke you with pitchforks if God gets mad at you. That is not the correct way to think about, rather, Hell could be described as a rejection of God. God gave us free will, and if we choose not to love him and follow his teachings, he won't force us to be with him. Hence there is Hell, well described by History Guy as a place of total isolation from God, for people who choose to reject God.
                              "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Working...
                              X