No announcement yet.

I'm so glad I can do sums without a calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently completed a degree in earth sciences (geology related subjects mostly) with the Open University. No calculators allowed although all that the courses required was arithmetic, basic algebra and complex numbers.

Yes, I remember using a slide rule - and largely giving up on it because it was quicker to do work it out in my head.

I haven't seen a slide rule in years but one odd item I discovered tucked away in a corner of the office when I started my present job looks like a slide rule but is specifically for calculating volumes of concrete. By adjusting it for the thickness, length and width, it gives the volume of concrete required. One of my predecessors must have been a civil engineer.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
      She is not in a special school.

what do you mean by that?
      Not in a private school. Just a regular American Public school. Silly.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
        France has funded (and founded ) the University of Nice, who has the single webpage that will help me pass the Calc 2 Course aka Hell.
        You whuz, that's the easy stuff.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Thank goodness I don't have to go further ( Well, ODE, and PDE, but I am doing them this simester as well, and they're ok. )
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

What kind of engineer are you?
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

No kind of engineer. I am a chemist in training.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Interesting. Here, calculators are banned till high schools (where, obviously, many calculations DO require those), so everyone is required to memorize the multiplication tables.

I'm not sure, but I think I learnt them myself when I was 6 or 7 - took me long, provided that I could do many other things by then. Oh, and learning how to divide on paper was a pain for me... even more so for my father to teach.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I break it down slightly differently from how Cerberus does.

In his example, 16*27, I would do a sort of long mulitplication in my head.

16*20 = 160*2 = 320
                  add 7*10 = 70 and 7*6 = 42

Comment

I had this today when someone was using a calculator to work out some simple averages but before they were getting the numbers into the calculator I had already reeled off the answer...I think this divide occurs at a younger age than I am at fortunately yet I know the power of a calculator for trickier mathematics...the best of both worlds...
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

So try this 4/3*(thirdSQRT(513/11*523/19*11/57))*log(4436634>>1)
                      Without calculator of course and at least on 19 decimals, please.

Comment

What are you, some kind of masochist?

Comment

Re: I'm so glad I can do sums without a calculator

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                          I was trying the explain some shortcuts to one of my kids when I was helping him with his homework and he just burst into tears - it wasn't the way he was being taught. He didn't seem to have a concrete idea about numbers in his head the way I do, even when I said stuff like "if you have 6 apples and take away 2, what do you have left?". I had to draw the damn apples!
                          I think you may have better luck if you lose the apples. Kids don't 'get' apples. Try jellybeans instead and use props.

Comment

Or ice cream cones

Comment

I'm also good at doing arithmatic in my head. I think wargames are a large part of the reason. Anyone who has gone through one combat phase in DNO should have a firm handle on addition and division for instance.

A friend of mine ran a RP game which was extremely complex. He's got a PhD in Physical Chemistry, and had more math by the time he was a freshman in high school than I have ever had. Anyway, the enormous complexity of his game meant that he needed to constantly use his calulator to figure out things for the game. It bugged him that I could always get the answer faster in my head than he could on the calculator.
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Im very fast at arithmetic also.
                                Im in math, but as somebody mentionned, that has almost no bearing.
                                I know ppl with math degrees who take out calculators to add up 2 digit numbers.
                                I can do quick exact artihmetic (multiplying 2 digits numbers very quickly and such) but maybe from my science background, I can do also rather precise approximations for more complicated stuff, you know converting twice , then multiplying by price and dividing by number of people to estimate what I owe to someone or such. As such, I think this second skill is more useful in day to day life than exact low-level arithmetic, because you can know If something is being charged too much or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X