No announcement yet.

I'm so glad I can do sums without a calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I am glad too. All off my school years I've had the option of using a calculator; though for the most part I never did; they are too slow.

Anyway, now I am at uni I am not allowed to use a calculator for my exams; and have an incredible advantage because of it .

If your child can't visualise counting apples or sheep now, teach him quick, or he will have the most incredible problems understanding the concepts of algebra.
    Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
    Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

You can't trust calculators - I always check. I just did some sums and the little calculator I was using just dropped the numbers after the decimal point when it ran out of screen - no rounding up or down!!!!
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

what kind of ghetto ass calculator were you using AH?
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

that's what 83's are for - they store floating-point numbers in 18 bytes... a whole lotta accuracy (even if you don't see it past).

Plus, it's very easy to do multiple sequential computations, as it is a graphing calculator.

Comment

I'm really glad I was educated before calculators and computers came on the scene. I can do sums in my head or with a pencil - add, subtract, multiply, divide. I know all the basic tricks for mental arithmetic like rounding to 10 and dropping zeros. I knew my times tables off by heart up to 12 - but I'm a little hazy on that now. And I was never very interested in maths but thanks to all those teachers who gave me a good grounding in the basics. I use them every day.

Bah. If you give me enough time, I can multiply arbitrarirly-long integers in my head.:P

I always know how much change I should get back when I buy something. Sometimes I give cashier extra coins so I get notes back - some of them look at you blankly when you say "I'll give you $10.20 and you give me 5 dollars back".

/me punches AH

I hate people like you.:P I work part-time in a fast-food place right now and as a result I can calculate change for a $5, $10, $20, or whatever instantly. You have a couple minutes to mull over the calculation in your head. I have to do it very fast because there are ten other people in line. Grrr.

Of course, my coworkers are innumerate. I had a five minute argument the other night trying to prove that "18 - 30%" equalled "18*.7". They couldn't even do it with a calculator. Idiots.
            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I am good with math, but sometimes use a calculator to save time.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I'm a wiz at math. I rarely use a calculator.

But I fail to see the importance of math in the every day world. Basic math sure, but beyond that...

Comment

In my childs school, calculators are banned....
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I use a calculator if I need to, but for the most part I'm better than the vast majority of people I know. Some things just instantly appear in my head, without me even having to think about the question. Other times I use a wide variety of tricks of my own or my father's devising.

The only people I know that can do mental math faster than me are my brothers. But, well, my oldest brother is trying to become a math teacher, so you gotta expect that sorta thing.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

This is not math, people. This is basic arithematic operations.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Indeed.

I can do add/sub/div/mul with a paper and pencil ( duh! I was in primary school, amazing isn't it? ), but admittedly, I almost never do so, with a calculator lying around.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

a lot of people can't do it - that's the point.
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

really?
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

yeah - I don't think there's anything clever about being able to do primary school level sums any more than you do - except fo the fact that a surprising number of people cannot do them.

Comment

That's very disturbing, AH. We're notorious for the awfulness of our primary school, and even here cashiers always ask for spare coins, so they can give change in round numbers.

But since all that people need is practice, I don't think there is something to worry about.
                                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                                X