Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There is only ONE country in the middle east where arabs can democraticaly elect...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there's hope for israel after all

Comment

Can Arabs serve in the IDF? (I know druze get drafted, but do Arabs get drafted?)
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

whats "druze"?

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
          Can Arabs serve in the IDF? (I know druze get drafted, but do Arabs get drafted?)
          Arabs dont get drafted but I think they can volunteer.
          I really dont know what posts those who volunteer get.

There are some high ranking druzes in the IDF. The commander of the Givati brigade is one them.
          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

If Arabs are equal citizens of Israel, why are they not called equally by thier country to protect it?
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Because no one trusts them to do the job right.
              "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

... and because they dont want to.

Comment

You are correct that Arabs in Israel are the only ones who live in a real dmeocracy. Unfortunitelly, it is not a democracy in which they are equal.

If you can tell me that an Arab or Druze can one day be Prime Minister, President (as symbolic as it is) and head of Staff of the IDF , then you can say they are equal citizens of Israel.
                  There is NOTHING in the system which would descriminate against an arab or a druze being president-there are no laws on the books preventing one from becoming so. Lets see a Jew or Christian be elected the leader of Iran lol!

Originally posted by Firelad
                  Vesayen: ?

Anyway, I have Druze and Arabs at school and in the neighborhood. So please don't teach me about them

I go to Israel every summer and became good friends with a familly of Druze who live where I stay..... Insofar as I can tell, and what they tell me, for the most part they arent descriminated against.

Can we get the "official" word from Eli or Sirnotikov?

They arent required, but they can-and enrollment is high amoung Druze. There are somehigh ranking Druze in the IDF.

Originally posted by paiktis22
                  whats "druze"?
                  A sect of Arabs who live in Israel, and are treated well.

If Arabs are equal citizens of Israel, why are they not called equally by thier country to protect it?
                  Politics of individuals........HOWEVER there is no state sanctioned descrimination, shown by the fact some are elected, unlike every other state in the region has.

And reading on, Eli already said half of what I did, LOL!

Comment

Egypt?
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                      Egypt?
                      And on that note: Morocco?
                      Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                      And notifying the next of kin
                      Once again...

Comment

Well, let's say that the situation in Israel is probably best. But you can also say that there was little state sanctioned discrimination against blacks in the '60 in the US...
                        Why official word from Siro or Eli? Am I not good enough? I live in Haifa, home of coexistence. If this is coexistence then I wonder what's in other places... I mean the situation here is reasonable but leagues from perfect. Or from anything resembling perfect.
                        Brought to you by Firelad, AKA King of the Fairies

Comment

If you can tell me that an Arab or Druze can one day be Prime Minister, President (as symbolic as it is) and head of Staff of the IDF , then you can say they are equal citizens of Israel.
                          Who can tell what will happen "one day". As of today there isn't feasable political support for an Arab to be PM, but then, it probably isn't politically feasble for an Arab American (or a woman, or an African American or an Asian American or a...) to be President in the US today, either.

(BTW, isn't there an Arab in Sharon's cabinet? Or was that under Barak?)
                          "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                            Egypt?
                            If you consider Egypt a real democracy, then im Johnt.

Fireland, I wasent aware you were Israeli.

Comment

Doesn't do much good though, seeing as how they are never part of a governing coalition.

Are you stoopeed?

They were an active part of every left government for the last 10 years!!!

Comment

There are several druze arabs in Likud.

Many in the IDF.

The muslim arabs are not drafted and usually don't volunteer.

It's problematic, because we can't draft them and expect them to guard the territories or fight against their possible relatives in neighbouring Arab countries.

Comment

Working...
                                X