Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There is only ONE country in the middle east where arabs can democraticaly elect...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iran.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

One restriction on arabs in government is the law that says every party must support the idea of Israel as a Jewish nation. If they don't they're banned. Plus, wasn't there recently some effort to ban elected Arab officials from committees where they would receive sensitive information? How did that turn out?

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
        Because no one trusts them to do the job right.
        hi ,

, in politics , not when it comes to the military , ......

both the druze and the bedouins are great units to serve with

have a nice day
        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
          There are several druze arabs in Likud.

Many in the IDF.

The muslim arabs are not drafted and usually don't volunteer.

It's problematic, because we can't draft them and expect them to guard the territories or fight against their possible relatives in neighbouring Arab countries.
          hi ,

no , we have other plans for those , .....

have a nice day
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Iran.

There's an excellent democratic system in Iran. Sadly it has no effect what so ever on the way the state is run, thus there is no real democracy. The fundamentalist religious clerical courts control Iran from head to toe.

The prostests these days are not a sign of democracy. They occur exactly because the Iranian "democracy" is not really expressing real people's opinions.

One restriction on arabs in government is the law that says every party must support the idea of Israel as a Jewish nation. If they don't they're banned. Plus, wasn't there recently some effort to ban elected Arab officials from committees where they would receive sensitive information? How did that turn out?

They don't need to support this idea. Only not to try and change it. The actual text is: "A Democratic and Jewish nation".

Israel being a jewish nation is the major reason for it's existance, and thus it would be illogical to allow it to change.

I'm sinserely doubtful as to the intentions for kicking out arab officials out of sensetive comittees since they'd have to be members of large enough parties to even enter such comittees.

Knesset sensetive comittees had only recently accepted a first jewish orthodox representative from the Shas party which had 17 knesset seats at the time.

Shinui that has 15 seats has no such representatives.

Several druze arabs that are members of Likud are members of the natl. security committee. So that's already a counter example.

Today there are around 12 arab (non-druze) MKs. If they had united into a single party, they would possibly stand a chance to get into such a committee. But seeing how they are today dispersed among several parties, with 3 or 4 MKs each, there's no chance for that anytime soon.

Comment

They don't need to support this idea. Only not to try and change it. The actual text is: "A Democratic and Jewish nation".

Israel being a jewish nation is the major reason for it's existance, and thus it would be illogical to allow it to change.
              Said by someone with a strong political belief. Surprising how mutable logic can be when you cross political and ethnic lines. It is a restriction on Arab power in a democratic government, promoting one religion or ethnicity over another.

I'm sinserely doubtful as to the intentions for kicking out arab officials out of sensetive comittees since they'd have to be members of large enough parties to even enter such comittees.
              Then the issue was removing arab mks or specific arab mks from sensitive discussions. I'm not sure and I'm not certain it was carried out but there was quite alot of noise about it not that long ago.

Comment

There's an excellent democratic system in Iran. Sadly it has no effect what so ever on the way the state is run, thus there is no real democracy.
                Indeed. Just like in Isreal, in Iran there theoretically is a democracy, but the wishes of large portions of the population are not heard.

Comment

Originally posted by gsmoove23

Said by someone with a strong political belief. Surprising how mutable logic can be when you cross political and ethnic lines. It is a restriction on Arab power in a democratic government, promoting one religion or ethnicity over another.
                  hi ,

Israel is a stays a Jewish nation , .... what do you expect , ......

we are till this very day the only Jewish nation , there dozens of arab nations , ......

have a nice day

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac

Indeed. Just like in Isreal, in Iran there theoretically is a democracy, but the wishes of large portions of the population are not heard.
                    hi ,

the huge difference is that we are actually one , on paper iran is one but in the field its not , .....

have a nice day

Comment

Sure, whatever you say.

Comment

It's not promoting a religion.

It is promoting a nationality.

Just as Germany promotes german nationality and Poland polish nationality etc.

The only existing restriction is that Israel can not become a 'state of it's citizens' such as the USA or Australia.

Other than that, theoretically, when peace comes, arabs should be as free here as in germany for instance.

Then the issue was removing arab mks or specific arab mks from sensitive discussions. I'm not sure and I'm not certain it was carried out but there was quite alot of noise about it not that long ago.

Any MK that joins sensetive discussions must have certain security clearings.

I'm sure it would comfort you that commie MKs or fundamentalist right wing MKs won't get to hear the same discussions as well.

Are you going to try and prove that or are bold assertions your type of thing?

Comment

Re: There is only ONE country in the middle east where arabs can democraticaly elect.

Originally posted by Vesayen
                          ...their leaders.

Do you know where?

Israel.
                          You mean Yemen surly?
                          A democratic contry, populated mainly by Arabs, in the Middle East...

[Turkey is filled with Turks, rather than Arabs, and Egypt with Egyptians {and is not in the middle east anyway acording to one map I've seen}] (personally I would put the division between the ME and Africa at the Suez Canal, which would put the Siani, and heance part of Egypt, in the ME)
                          Introvert:
                          spreading confusion far and wide...
                          It will all be washed away by the incoming tide.

Comment

Re: Re: There is only ONE country in the middle east where arabs can democraticaly elect.

Originally posted by introvert

[Turkey is filled with Turks, rather than Arabs, and Egypt with Egyptians
                            NO!

The Egyptians are a dead civilization. Egypt is egyptian in name only. The country is arab, and technically the middle east stretches from Iran to some west-african costal country
                            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                              whats "druze"?
                              As we know, Muslims divide into shi'is and other sunnites. One of the historical fractions of shi'is, claiming that Ismail ibn Gafar as-Sadiq is the seventh imam, were ismaillites. One of the fractions of them, with their leader claiming that he's the hidden imam, and descendant of prophet Muhammad through his daughter, Fatima, established a state in modern day Tunisia, and later conquered Egypt (in fact an Armenian conquered it for them and established Al-Azhar , and later there was a dinasty of Armenian visiers) and Syria. in the end of X century (970 or so). They established a shi'i caliphate, which fell when Salah ad-Din, sent by Nur ad-Din with his uncle as the leader of an interventional army, became their visier, and after a death of current caliph, destructed it, creating a new state and new dinasty, Ayyubids (since 1171 or so). Anyway, one of caliphs was al-Hakim, ruling in the start of XI century.
                              He was under great Christian influence at the start, his mother was Christian, the guy who brouoght him up was Christian, his uncle was patriarch of Jerusalem, and He made another uncle patriarch of Antioch. But later on He got mad, and started persecuting Christians with a great energy. He destroyed the church of the Holy Sepulchre, killed some patriarchs, and persecuted Christian community in all the means possible, including a general order of converting to Islam and means to achieve that. But later on, He started mistreating Muslims as well, as He got to the thought that He's the God. He was excentric, He loved night journeys in the city on a donkey for example, and all the shops were supposed to be opened for him. Once He didn't return...
                              And his supporters got to the point that He's disappeared and will once returned, and sheltered in Lebanon mountains. Their first leader's name was Hamza, but their name comes from a Persian word which I don't know a substitute in English, and it was what their next leader used to do for living.
                              "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                              Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
                                Iran.
                                Iran isn't Arabic, it's... Iranian, as well as Tadjikistan, most of Afghanistan, and Kurd people.

Egypt is definitely Arabic, though Egyptian dialect differs much from the classical speech.
                                "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                                I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                                Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                                X