Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting frustrated with Kodak Picture Disk...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are CDs.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

But Albert says it's a floppy that he can't get working.
      (insert impotence joke here)
      (insert "you can't do any inserting if you have impotence" joke here)
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

On the Kodak picture disk ads on TV it's a CD.
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

I know .... which is why I was confused when Albert said it was a floppy. It seems implausible - thus Asher's joke in the other thread (probably on page 2 by now) about him trying to jam a CD into the floppy drive.

Comment

Ah, Ok. Often I just go into a thread and read the last post and respond to that.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

it's a floppy disk... kodak still makes the floppies.

i'll run a scandisk and see what it says...

thanks
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

nope i cant even do a scandisk... it says...

"Scandisk can not check this drive because there is no disk in it, it is not formatted, or a disk utility has locked it. Insert a valid disk in the drive... and then restart Scandisk."

Help!
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

all i did was exist the program and tried to start it up again... nothing was done to the drive or the disk. this makes no sense... are these disks supposed to self-delete or something after a few uses?

Comment

they gave you a floppy? How many? That's BIZARRE. Don't you have a cd-rom drive??? If you have a cd rom drive, take the thing back and ask for your pictures in CD form - it's what you deserve...
                    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                    Drake Tungsten
                    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                    Albert Speer

Comment

monolith:

one floppy... i went to the kodak site and they had a whole section talking about the floppy disks so it's a standard. not bizarre at all.

thanks

Comment

Out of interest ... how many pictures are on the floppy?

Comment

I doubt if this will help you - but I'll try anyway.

Basically, I've got one photo-CD. When inserted into a drive it tries to auto-install the Kodak software to view the disk. As it's already installed this causes the setup routine to bug out.

After that, I can explore the disk as normal and get all the pictures off it. That's because they're stored on the disk in "almost" normal JPEG format, and nor the ultra compressed propreitary lossy junk they use for floppy.

I suggest you go back to the store with your disk and negatives (they did give you those, right?) and ask for a full refund because the disk is shot. If they can smugly read the floppy, they won't give you a refund - if they can't, they will. Hint, nudge, wink, say no more.

Then, before they give you the refund, ask for a CD instead - which is what you should have done in the first place.

Floppy disks might be cheaper - but magnetic media degrades a lot faster, so stick with CD. It's more stable.
                          Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                          "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Working...
                          X