One-hit wonders you still listen to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One-hit wonders you still listen to

So, which artists do you still listen to that made a single hit before disappearing?

I'll just rattle off a couple here that I can think of off the top of my head:

A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away)
    The Verve Pipe - The Freshman
    Lo-Fidelity Allstars - Battleflag
    Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta
    The Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive

I'm sure you all have some more than this.

I think the bee gees had other hits.

flock of seagulls- that's who does that song.

Comment

Breeders - Cannonball
      Katrina and the Waves - Walkin' on Sunshine

and, when drunk, Bonnie Tyler - Total eclipse of the Heart :
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

The Lo-Fi's are one-hit-wonders?

Well, one-album-wonders I suppose. Many other songs on that album are comparable in quality to Battleflag IMHO.

And you know that the BeeGees weren't one-hit-wonders either.

Anyway ... no genuine ones spring to mind that I still listen to. I never buy singles so only have CDs from bands I like multiple songs from. Of course, I could always get mp3 versions of one-hit-wonders, but I'm too lazy.
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

ahh yes, Bonnie Tyler. I still like that song.

Comment

According to VH1, Jimi Hendrix is technically a one hit wonder.
            "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

what! damn them, damn them all to hell

he had at least two hits. foxy lady and purple haze. And he had a third hit with his cover song all along the watchtower. Other songs like voodoo child, the wind cried mary, hey joe were minor hits.

Comment

I agree, but he's still on their one hit wonder countdown. They do note how influential he was, and how he shouldn't really be there, but I guess All Along the Watchtower was the only song of his that charted at all, at least according to VH1.
                "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Speaking of crap that's on VH1's list, I guess that Faith No More is a one hit wonder according to them also. What a load of crap.

NOTE - after looking at their web site, they don't list Jimi on that countdown, but I can remember watching it and they did have a segment on him.

Comment

I think there are two kinds of one-hit wonders. One is a pop group that comes together, gets a hit, and then fades rapidly from view. That, to me, is the real definition. The other kind is a group that was never pop to begin with but that cuts a song that is popular enough to chart; then they go back to being themselves and catering to their loyal fan base. Faith No More would seem to be in the second camp, along with Devo, Psychadelic Furs, and Sinead O'Connor, among many others.
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Ah, I have a good one. I still listen to the Toadies.

Comment

Blind Melon - No Rain
                        Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing
                        Jimmie's Chicken Shack - Do Right
                        The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
                        Tonic - If You Could Only See

As far as i know these guys are 1 hit wonders
                        I contend that we are both Atheists. I just believe in one fewer god then you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you'll understand why I dismiss yours.

Comment

just on the radio

Chumbawumba - I get knocked down
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Pah. Nobody's a one-hit wonder in my book, except Gina G, but I haven't heard her song for years (thank God).

Chumbawumba, the Verve and Jane's Addiction I wouldn't qualfy as one-hit wonders.
                            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

"Hubba Hubba Zoot Zoot"

(big hit in Sweden ~20 years ago)
                              The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X