No announcement yet.

"Aargh! My ears!" or, Worst Cover Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anytime I hear a crappy cover, I wonder "what was wrong with the original?" Sometimes it's just to obvious that the artist/record company want to parasite on another artist by making a cover.

I share the opinion of David Lee Roth - "There's nothing wrong with singing covers, as long as you make them better than the original!"

Too bad that covers that have improved from the original are so rare.
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Without a doubt, William Shatner's "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" is the worst cover ever.

It makes his version of "Mr Tambourine Man" seem good in comparison.
      Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
      "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

any one of the rock covers of 'suicide is painless', talk about missing the point
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre
          I share the opinion of David Lee Roth - "There's nothing wrong with singing covers, as long as you make them better than the original!"
          This from the man who failed to do exactly that with "Just a Gigalo" and "California Girls?" Well, at least he talks the talk...
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Worst cover ever: Will Young (the Britsh 'Pop Idol' guy) - "Light My Fire''

All Saints - "Under The Bridge", A. Lavigne - "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" and B. Spears - "I Love Rock'n'Roll" are also awful..

I haven't heard Avril's Chop Suey cover yet..

Comment

I was in a cheery mood and was 'bout to say "Richard Cheese!!!" or "Max Raabe!!!", but Avril with Chop Suey got me seriously disturbed. :|
              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

"Without a doubt, William Shatner's "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" is the worst cover ever.

It makes his version of "Mr Tambourine Man" seem good in comparison."

You need to see his version of Rocket Man...there's a RealPlayer version of the video here:
                The First Church of Shatnerology. A Lunatic Millennium Cult. . .With a Difference!

"Is it Shatner, or is it Elton John?"

"Worst cover ever: Will Young (the Britsh 'Pop Idol' guy) - "Light My Fire'' "

Which gives me the chance to bring up my favourite review of his album:

"Young's shortcomings are swiftly revealed by the album's cover versions. You need no degree in the semiotics of classic rock lyrics to know that the Doors' Light My Fire is not literally about lighting a fire. Yet on Young's version, the erotic throb has vanished. The song dangles, short and unappealing. He sings as if issuing instructions to a slow-witted housekeeper. Come on, baby, light my fire. And once you've done that, can you clean the bathroom mirror and give the living room a once-over with a duster? "

Comment

Flummoxed, they start making the noise that teen pop stars always make when they want to signify deep emotional torment, the Take Me Seriously Wail. Usually accompanied by a pained expression and a doleful shaking of the head, the Take Me Seriously Wail goes "Woah-HOAH-hoah!", or sometimes "Yaay- HEYA-haay!" Even without the associated visuals, the Take Me Seriously Wail has a devastating effect. Used liberally, as here, it can make the listener let out an involuntary wail of their own, the Take Me Somewhere This Music Isn't Audible Wail.
                  So true...
                  Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                  "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

fuel cover? the same Fuel?

Snapcase - what's wrong with the original "stuck in the middle with you"?

Comment

Thalia's attempt to the us market. -I want you.
                      fyi=tommy mottola's bride.
                      Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Comment

celin dion looks like a horse!

Comment

If we are not counting any William Shatner...

Madonna doing "American Pie".
                          Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

I'm not at all pleased by the Dixie Chicks "Landslide"
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Dolly Parton's cover of Stairway to Heaven?
                              The true nature of a man is shown by what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Comment

I'm not at all pleased by the Dixie Chicks "Landslide"

I thought it was better than the original by far .

If we are not counting any William Shatner...

Naw... he sings songs the same reason he does 'Priceline' commericals... for the laughs. He knows it and we (should) know it.
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X