No announcement yet.

Good Old Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And yet, in spite of all what Tingkai mentions (which is all true), life was a heck of a lot more dangerous in the "good old days." More people died of food poisoning, despite the fact that our meat is now toxic when uncooked. More people died in car accidents (as a percentage). Fewer kids made it to adulthood.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The Good Old Days were not so good if you were:

Gay
      Political Dissident
      Ethnic Minority
      Catholic
      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
        The Good Old Days were not so good if you were:

Gay
        Political Dissident
        Ethnic Minority
        Catholic
        Catholic?

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Yes, Catholic.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I want the drive-in movie theaters back.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
              Yes, Catholic.
              Why Catholic? They were never hunted down and murdered like Mormons were.

ACK!

Comment

Yes, but they were still persecuted. I don't see how it's relevant that some other group was even MORE persecuted... that doesn't change the fact that Catholics weren't well regarded in America for quite a while.
                "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

ACK!
                  Most religious faiths have an attached target. It depends where you are and at what point in time.

If the purpose of that guy spouting off about the good old days was to prepare the youth for a crash back to the dark ages - he shouldn't have bothered.

Happiness is relative folks. You can be an unhappy rich person or a happy poor person or vice versa.

Mind you, I'm heading towards the old fart brigade myself.
                  Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                  "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by cinch

Yes, but they were still persecuted. I don't see how it's relevant that some other group was even MORE persecuted... that doesn't change the fact that Catholics weren't well regarded in America for quite a while.
                    I know that, but show me some examples. I KNOW a lot about the persecution of Mormons, I grew up in Utah after all. But, I haven't heard a lot about Catholics.

ACK!

Comment

Actually, Catholics were hunted down and murdered in my home State of Maryland. Maryland was originally a colony for English Catholics. There, the Catholics passed a law giving people absolute freedom of religion so long as they believed in the Trinity, a remarkably liberal law for the time. However, becaus of our religious tolerance and Maryland's fertile soil, it soon became subject to Protestant Migration until they eventually became the majority. The protestants then promplty banned Catholicism and made it punishable by death.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker

Heck, my grandfather would sure have been happy if they had Sex Ed back in the 1920s....it would have spared him many nerve wracking moments over his youthful indiscretions.

People only learn when they are made to take responsiblity for their actions. Today, America is all about shifting the blame to society, the man, or anyone just as long as they as the individual didn't have to face up to their mistakes. We are becomming a nation of self-made victims. Besides those youthful indiscretions make for some very interesting stories to your grandchildren
                        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Catholic
                          Yeah, catholics were persecuted. All now is they're just the butt of a lot of jokes.
                          ---
                          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

All now is they're just the butt of a lot of jokes.

"Every Sperm is Sacred..."
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The protestant family in that sketch is far more pityful.
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

You can still see some hardcore anti-Catholic bigotry today, just go to www.chick.com , where can you find plenty of anti-Catholic (and any non fundy protestant) bigotry.

Comment

Working...
                                X