Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Old Days

Sometimes I wonder, how did we survive?

My mother used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

My mother used to defrost hamburger on the counter AND I used to eat it raw sometimes too, but I can't remember getting E-coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring)

The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE... and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.

Flunking gym was not an option... even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than gym.

Every year, someone taught the whole school a lesson by running in the halls with leather soles on linoleum tile and hitting the wet spot. How much better off would we be today if we only knew we could have sued the school system.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and the pledge and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention. We must have had horribly damaged psyches.

I can't understand it. Schools didn't offer 14 year olds an abortion or condoms (we wouldn't have known what either was anyway) but they did giveus a couple of baby aspirin and cough syrup if we started getting the sniffles. What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital cable stations.

I must be repressing that memory as I try to rationalize through the denial of the dangers could have befallen us as we trekked off each day about a mile down the road to some guy's vacant lot, built forts out of branches and pieces of plywood, made trails, and fought over who got to be the Lone Ranger. What was that property owner thinking, letting us play on that lot. He should have been locked up for not putting up a fence around the property, complete with a self-closing gate and an infrared intruder alarm.

Oh yeah... and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played king of the hill on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites and when we got hurt, mother pulled out the 48 cent bottle of mercurochrome and then we got our butt spanked. Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics and then mother calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either because if we did, we got our butt spanked (physical abuse) here too. And then we got butt spanked again when we got home.

Mom invited the door to door salesman inside for coffee, kids choked down the dust from the gravel driveway while playing with Tonka trucks (remember why Tonka trucks were made tough... it wasn't so that they could take the rough Berber in the family room), and Dad drove a car with leaded gas.

Our music had to be left inside when we went out to play and I am sure that I nearly exhausted my imagination a couple of times when we went on two week vacations. I should probably sue the folks now for the danger they put us in when we all slept in campgrounds in the family tent.

Summers were spent behind the push lawn mower and I didn't even know that mowers came with motors until I was 13 and we got one without an automatic blade-stop or an auto-drive.

How sick were my parents? Of course my parents weren't the only psychos. I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front stoop just before he fell off. Little did his Mom know that she could have owned our house. Instead she picked him up and swatted him for being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that we needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes? We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac!

How did we survive?
    The good old days.
    Just received this on the internet. Some of you younger people should read it.

wait, playing king of the hill doesn't require a computer?
    B♭3

Comment

How did we survive?
      The good old days.
      Who wrote that? Charlie Daniels?

(Revelation: There were no good old days.)
      "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
      "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
      "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

Re: Good Old Days

A bit too conservative, and too American-centric to be true.

Remember, Americans have had VERY HIGH standards of living since about 1930.
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

the start of VERY HIGH standards of living in the US coincides with the beginning of the Great Depression? That doesn't sound right.

Comment

Weird. Hey Geronimo you were just in the latest where are they thread.
            Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
              the start of VERY HIGH standards of living in the US coincides with the beginning of the Great Depression? That doesn't sound right.
              Higher than many other countries. I will admit, the great depression wasn't very good, but.....Do you really think, say, the Soviet Union or China was much better off? (AKA.....I made a mistake )

And then AFTER the depression.....The standards of living rose quite quickly, almost outshadowing every country in the world. Though Norway still wins.

But I do suspect were talking about 1940-1970.
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Also totally untrue about the 'we all' parts. Maybe for the picket fence set.

My dad spent part of the first period outside class in the hallway for refusing to stand and bow his head to pray at his school.

Heck, my grandfather would sure have been happy if they had Sex Ed back in the 1920s....it would have spared him many nerve wracking moments over his youthful indiscretions.

Why is it that these Good Ole Days types never seem to have grown up in the same neighbourhoods my family did?

Getting beaten up by the Orange Lodge in the '20s?
                Booze rackets in the 40s early 50s?
                Getting chased by farmers with sheep shears in the 60s? (long hair is BAD)
                Dealing grass in school in the 50s...from the back of a Cadillac on Wasaga Beach, 1958!

the Old(er) Man even says the best whores were from the 30s...

God, sometimes I do wish I lived in the late 50s early 60s...seems like there was so much **** goin' on.

But we do have MUCH better video games.
                "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

If I ever start to say "you know, life was so much better back then because..." shoot me.

Shoot me dead. If I turn my back on the future I don't want to live anymore.
                  Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and the pledge and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention. We must have had horribly damaged psyches.
                    If this is a dig at "under God": that was added in 1954.

See how much today's youth have degenerated since they started saying "under God"...

Comment

Oh yes, the world has changed since you were young, so it's all so horrible and difficult to understand.

Kids these days!

Human beings don't like change. So every so often some crotchety old fart writes up a list like this and sends it out. Other old farts like it. When I'm an old fart, I'll probably like it. But now it just sounds whiny.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Yup, I am sure that was the experience of your average black family..wait, no.....

This is as much a pack of lies as whent he same old foggie says "kid's today!...."
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Bodiless

If this is a dig at "under God": that was added in 1954.

See how much today's youth have degenerated since they started saying "under God"...
                          By George, you're right! There used to be the good old days, then Ike added "under God" to the pledge and the whole country went to Hell in a handbasket!

Comment

I remember when I saw this kid in my uncle's farm, had to be about 8-9, my age at the time, drinking his black coffee and eating his plain white rice breakfast, about to go out and work on the fields.. yeah, kids like that are tough! Not like a bunch of soft whinny kids who "go to school" and live in homes with "indoor plumbing". Shouldn;t we all be like that one kid? Real kids?
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

You think that was tough?

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X