Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are anti-globalisation protestors selfish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You go eat at McDonals for the quality of the food? really?

Plenty, plenty, plenty of KIDS do! That is where McD's gets its money from families whose kids are in love with McDonald's food.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Two problems

a) The spread of anglo-saxon culture, while not *that* immoral per se, can tend to create a mentality, as well as an actual situation, where one forces ones own culture upon another people and environment, in which it is unlikely to be as successful (imagine wearing an overcoat in Eritrea), or particularly endearing to the local population, with their own cultures. I would argue that this is something that should be done in moderation, and slowly.

b) While globalisation is a good idea in theory, I'm sure I speak for many anti-globalisation protesters when I say that in practise, the humanitarian abuses, ecological damage, polical levering and economic polarisation of the world, are things that this current interpretation of globalisation has to account for, and stop. I am NOT against globalisation, as it can, properly implimented, be a good tool for redistributing wealth from the rich to the poor, and kick starting the economies of poor nations, so they can all contribute to the global economy.

"Do you think they will be protesting about how British culture is being wiped out by Indian culture next?"

It is hardly being wiped out. The two cultures in this example are merely being mixed. Each culture takes elements from the other, and auments itself with them.

For example, some indian food that to me feels like a SWAT team in ones mouth, has practically become national British dishes, while many Indians in Britain, and in India itself, enjoy cricket, football, rugby etc. My Indian friends are sharing in my hangover today when we went out last night and got plastered. We dont regard ourselves as different cultures.

The attitude of cultural competition as it were, "we wipe out their culture before they wipe out ours", is based on fallacious assumptions.

"I'd rather have a McDonald's and a fish and chip shop than two fish and chip shops"

Do you think they will be protesting about how British culture is being wiped out by American culture next?

"They have a genuine concern about protecting other cultures" ... who arent in a position to defend themselves economically against the influx of another culture, thus in this current globalised environment, the native culture will suffer. Different cultures should be integrated, not wiped out by globalisation, otherwise it adds another West-centric element to the current system, that need not be!

I think that if people want to take elements of our culture, then we should let them, just as we choose to take elements of other cultures that we are exposed to. Unlike the view of the globalisation protesters that the strawman argument uses, stopping the outward flow, as well as the inward flow, is not a concern, rather I think they are more concerned about it being forced on them, instead of them choosing.

British people arent having Indian culture forced on them. If they choose, the only Indian influence is environmental, and I dont think it is reasonable to say that simply because the sight of an indian restaurant offends one, that it is reasonable justification to eliminate that influence. People in the third world, when the newcomer is more powerful than the native culture, havent been afforded quite the same luxury of cultural choice.
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

"McD's gets its money from families whose kids are in love with McDonald's food"

You reckon they put weed in the burgers? One time, I ate a Big Mac (big mistake), I felt, tired, dispondent, irrationally happy, sleepy, then the urge to buy more big macs.
        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

McDonald food is unhealthy and tastes very mediocre. The only reason why people in other countries flock to it is it's American and majority of people look up to everything American.

Comment

In that context, do you think its wise for my personal safety to campaign for stronger gun laws?

Comment

Originally posted by elijah
              "McD's gets its money from families whose kids are in love with McDonald's food"

You reckon they put weed in the burgers? One time, I ate a Big Mac (big mistake), I felt, tired, dispondent, irrationally happy, sleepy, then the urge to buy more big macs.
              Almost every kid I know loves McDonald. I have yet to encounter one who doesn't like it.

I personally loved McDonald until about age 16, from then on I suddenly started despising it.

Comment

"Almost every kid I know loves McDonald. I have yet to encounter one who doesn't like it. You are probably one of the few exceptions."

I'm not, I'm 18. Despite the fact that I couldnt stand the crap from about 11, they take advantage of drunk people in my town by staying open on a friday night

"I personally loved McDonald until about age 16, from then on I suddenly started despising it"

Its like the tooth fairy, patriotism or santa in that context - people grow out of it!

Comment

Spiffor,

Puke smiley again?
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Nevermind. I forgot that I saved it last time.

Comment

"Culture is a rough and ready thing that people have to use in their daily lives. Creating artificial cultural barriers will only make us weaker, in my view"

Agreed, and when one is living in a world where peoples of different cultures interact, and we as a culture are faced with a cultural treasure trove of different ways to do things, I think it is a good thing when both sides accept each other. Of course cultural dominance is wrong, and that is the point of my argument, it should be augmentation, not annihilation!

Comment

How did you get that smilie? Its not on the list!

Comment

Where does America try to force its culture? Remember, people go to Wal-Mart, Disneyland, Hollywood movies, and McDonalds voluntarily. Nobody forces them.

Comment

I mean the local competition. Here its viable. If I dont want to go to McDonalds, I have decent restaurants to choose from.

Look at the situation in Prague. Many of the larger restaurants are falling out of business because of newer international chains (admittedly not entirely fast food). When I was there in oct 2001, I counted 3 starbucks!!! There isnt a single starbucks in Northampton and I want my latte!!!

In a third world nation, one has an economically powerful nation, effectively extendign itself via corps into business there, mcdonalds etc, but especially the clothing companies, with the result that the local culture is simply overwhelmed.

Here, the economic effect of american culture is more limited, so we were less likely to be overwhelmed by it.

You are of course correct, no-one is forcing people to go into macdonalds and eat a happy meal at gunpoint, but the sociological and economic effects are somewhat more suttle than that.

Comment

Originally posted by elijah
                              How did you get that smilie? Its not on the list!
                              It's at another site. Insert a hyperlink. You can see the link if you hit my quote button.

Comment

Starbucks are highly liked in China (esp in Shanghai) because people can always find clean WCs there.

Chain stores are also driving local ones out of business here. I'm sure this phenomenon is happening everywhere, regardless of globalization. It will not go away until you erect a custom every 50 miles like in 18th century Germany.

Comment

Working...
                                X