Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are anti-globalisation protestors selfish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are anti-globalisation protestors selfish?

I can't remember where, but I saw an extremely thought provoking argument whereby it was claimed globalisation protestors wish to see other nations closed to our cultural influence, yet have our culture influenced by others.

Why is this selfish? Well, we get the benefit of being able to choose from three main nation's dishes (Chinese, Indian, Italian), plus many less enjoyed ones if you live near a big city. We can wear goods styled on other countries' cultures.

Anti-globalisation protestors wouldn't like to see American/Western influence spread.

Are they really protesting against "cultural destruction" benevolently?

Or are they really in favour of a world where individual cultures are still avauilable for them to watch on travel shows, for them to travel to and take pictures of?

It sure is a pity they can no longer walk the banks of the Tigris without seeing a McDonalds! Why deprive other nations our culture. We enjoy theirs.

It seems these protestors care more about being able to keep a nation all quaint and undeveloped.

Why does it matter to someone in Seattle who has - given probabilities - not set foot outside of the US, if a Chineseman wants to wear Levis or a Thai wants to eat McDonalds?

Cultural deprivation, that's why. Selfish?
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Yes. Believe it or not, I pretty much agree with all your points.

:drops dead again:

Comment

JohnT: succint as always .

Those anti-globalism people that share this mindset (that other cultures should be spread, but not American culture) are hypocrites. Don't know if they are selfish though.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The problem with the spread of American/English culture is a problem of pace, even though things are less bad than a few years ago.

The pace of American/English culture is overwhelming for many cultures, which are partially threatened from the onslaught (Only Hollywood movies shown in the theater, English-speaking shows everywhere on telly, etc.)

Should the English/American culture spread at a reasonable pace, like other cultures, without the risk of overwhelming fragile cultures, I'm sure the anti-globalization guys would love it.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

This is funny.

Last year I was in Philly for work and some British guy told me that Americans don't have a culture of our own. Now, I am seeing ppl trying suppress the spread of this non-existant entity.

I wouldn't call it selfish. Though I can see how it can be viewed this way. Perhaps those who protest about it are being selfish, but I think the greater supporters are more in fear of losing their culture or more importantly the cultural heritage. They just fear change...

You gotta change with the world or you will be left behind.
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
            The problem with the spread of American/English culture is a problem of pace, even though things are less bad than a few years ago.

The pace of American/English culture is overwhelming for many cultures, which are partially threatened from the onslaught (Only Hollywood movies shown in the theater, English-speaking shows everywhere on telly, etc.)

Should the English/American culture spread at a reasonable pace, like other cultures, without the risk of overwhelming fragile cultures, I'm sure the anti-globalization guys would love it.
            Exactly. It is not about one culture influencing another, it is about the overwhelming wave of American culture on other countries.

However, I don't completely agree with the anti-globalisation view on this issue. It's not that they are selfish. Far from it. They have a genuine concern about protecting other cultures because they think that American culture will wipe out the other cultures.

That's where they are probably wrong. American culture tends to be absorb and then changed within other cultures, or at least that's my experience in China.

A greater threat is the proganda that the free market is the best for economic growth. It is propaganda because those who advocate are from countries where the free market really does not exist.
            Golfing since 67

Comment

That's where they are probably wrong. American culture tends to be absorb and then changed within other cultures, or at least that's my experience in China.

American culture is very flexible... which is also why some people say it doesn't exist.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                Last year I was in Philly for work and some British guy told me that Americans don't have a culture of our own.

You should have mentioned that in the "Dumbest thing that's ever been said to me" thread.
                If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

One other point. The nations that face the greatest danger of being swamped by American culture are place like China, Italy and India. Instead, it is the other English-speaking nations like Britian, Canada and Australia. We risk having American corporations dominating our culture.
                  Golfing since 67

Comment

They have a genuine concern about protecting other cultures
                    Do you think they will be protesting about how British culture is being wiped out by Indian culture next?
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's

Do you think they will be protesting about how British culture is being wiped out by Indian culture next?
                      Aren't they already to busy with protesting against the American culture wave in Britain ?
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Everyone is selfish. Duh. Human nature, remember? Or are you a commie?

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I'm quite glad we've got it. I'd rather have a McDonald's and a fish and chip shop than two fish and chip shops.

The best chip shop will survive anyway.
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's
                            Ask me that when the Brits stop eating beef and start treating cows as sacred.
                            Golfing since 67

Comment

A substantial minority of all Indians (especially if we are, correctly, refering to the entire subcontinent as Indian) don't do that, Tingkai .

Comment

Working...
                              X