No announcement yet.

North Korean Refugees, South Korean Journalism, and Chinese Justice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What corner? China has their back, and is (or should be) a major source of trade. Nobody is throwing rockets over their heads, either.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

A huge influx of North Koreans would not be a desirable thing from Beijing's standpoint. That region is already suffering from a lot of labor unrest due to lay-offs and plant closures throughout China's north eastern "rust belt".

Chinese actions can in part be explained by the cultural willingness to trade increased social stability at the expense of individual freedoms. This is the root of many differences between China and the West, e.g. Chinese people's bafflement at westerner's concern over "human rights" (most Chinese think this is a complete non-issue).

That's not a blanket excuse, it's part of the context of the situation.
      Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

The US has been making threatening noises for the longest time, and tossed a spanner in the recent North-South peace talks.

And, of course, all that moronic "Axis of Evil" talk.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The North Koreans don't have a huge military because they fear the U.S. They've had a huge military since the regime began, and the U.S. could have obliterated them whenever they felt like it with nuclear weapons. The reason that they have a huge military is to keep the greatest amount of direct control over the largest possible number of people.
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
            The reason that they have a huge military is to keep the greatest amount of direct control over the largest possible number of people.
            Which is exactly why the US has a huge military, right?
            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

How many journalists have we imprisoned for two years lately?

Don't tempt us!

Which is exactly why the US has a huge military, right?

Dumb troll. The US, with about 30x the population of NK, has only a couple hundred thousand more soldiers under arms.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                Dumb troll.
                No. A joke. A bad one, probably, but a joke nevertheless.
                If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                  Dumb troll. The US, with about 30x the population of NK, has only a couple hundred thousand more soldiers under arms.
                  That depends on the ratio.

Suppose the UK had only a few thousand military personal, a couple hundred thousand more is several hundred times. On the other hand, suppose the UK had a few million of them, of course a couple hundred thousand more is nothing.

Clearly, number of men is just part of the story. Another part is military spending.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Terrible story, But still a lot of navel gazing. Is this the only journalist in danger in the whole world? Hmm, I wonder how nay journalist were killed worldwide in the last few moths and we heard about them?

The fact is that most stories around the world are not reported. The reason this woman did this piece (as is obvious from what she writes about politics, besides from the facts of the story) is to add criticism against policies towards NK, urging a harder line.

What the Chinese are doing tpo the reporter and to the refugees is despicable, but to argue for an end to it would be to argue for a host of huamn rights that if truly carries out would demand susbtantal reform for all states. hence, no one will really call for these changes.

Sad.
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

GePap, how does that make it any less legitimate?

Of course we don't know all the stories in the world, we're not omniscient. That's not a reason to not care about the stories we do know about.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

i'm surprised skorea isn't raising a bigger stink.

give me a gun, drop me near pyongyang. i'll take care of this.
                        B♭3

Comment

Working...
                        X