X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Korean Refugees, South Korean Journalism, and Chinese Justice

THE REAL WORLD

Chinese 'Justice'
    A journalist gets two years in prison for telling the truth.

BY CLAUDIA ROSETT
    Wednesday, May 28, 2003 12:01 a.m. EDT

Enthralling though the Jayson Blair saga may be, let's spare a moment for a journalist who has landed in far worse trouble--not by telling lies, but for his brave and honorable efforts to document firsthand the truth about one of the most terrible stories of our time. He's a South Korean photographer, 33-year-old Seok Jae-Hyun, who over the past few years did freelance work for the New York Times, among others.

Since January, Mr. Seok has been in jail in China, where last Friday he was handed a two-year prison sentence for "trafficking in persons." Translated from the lingo of that perversity known as China's "judicial" system, this means Mr. Seok was detained in Yantai, China, while trying to photograph the efforts of a group of North Korean refugees to flee China, aboard two fishing boats. Their hope was to reach asylum in South Korea and Japan, achieving not only safety for themselves but world attention for the plight of North Korean refugees still hiding and hunted by authorities inside China.

The plan failed. On Jan. 18, Chinese security agents rounded up the aspiring North Korean boat people, the private relief workers helping them and Mr. Seok. Reports vary on the fate of the Koreans; China's policy is to return them to North Korea, which harshly punishes such would-be escapees. But this much is clear: While China's President Hu Jintao is traipsing the globe right now, buffing up China's image following the SARS coverup, Mr. Hu's regime, by imprisoning Mr. Seok, has just tidily arranged to hide another of its gross misdeeds--Beijing's cruel mistreatment of North Korean refugees. Returning them to North Korea not only violates human decency but makes a mockery of China's obligations as party to the United Nations Convention on Refugees. Mr. Seok's two-year sentence will go far to deter further reporting inside China, making it much easier for Beijing, unobserved, to shove refugees back into North Korea.

For this reason alone, Mr. Seok's case deserves world attention. But there are other reasons, too. Mr. Seok is that rare sort of South Korean who, despite the craven national brand of appeasement called the "sunshine policy," had the courage to tackle the true predicament of North Koreans fleeing the world's most repressive state. Most of Mr. Seok's countrymen, as well as their newly elected president, Roh Moo-Hyun, pay lip service to the idea that their kin in the North deserve better lives. But Seoul's real effort over the past decade has been to help preserve the regime with which Kim Jong Il keeps North Koreans enslaved--lest South Korea's quality of life be compromised by 23 million or so famished, ragged countrymen suddenly set free.

The numbers tell the tale: Last year a total of 1,141 North Korean refugees arrived in South Korea. That's more than twice the number in 2001. But the grand total to date is estimated at a mere 2,000. This is utterly trivial in face of 200,000 to 300,000 thought to be hiding out in China (though Beijing's illicit policy of forced repatriation has been whittling that number down). As Western diplomats and North Korean defectors have confirmed to me over the years, South Korean practice is to quietly deflect refugees whenever possible, lest the generous welcome of a few encourage an exodus of many.

If you believe that a country has a soul, or at least some sort of animating set of beliefs, then South Korea's habit of discreetly locking out their hunted, desperate kin to the North has got to be deeply corrosive to the South Korean spirit. A great measure of dignity and relief might well come of a national effort in South Korea to stop behaving like kids and cowards, and instead start actively helping North Korea's refugees, while calling on the world, especially China, to do the same.
    However, South Korea's government directs its efforts toward stifling the testimony of defectors and stymieing their attempts to speak to the world---and, specifically, to visit and testify in the U.S. The South Korean government has asked for Mr. Seok's release, but the decibels have been too low even to rise above the clink of wine glasses at the banquets attended by President Roh during his maiden visit to the U.S. earlier this month. Far more telling was Seoul's decision last month to oh-so-delicately abstain from a vote by the U.N. Human Rights Commission condemning North Korea for "widespread and grave abuses."

Not that all blame should go to South Korea. Plenty belongs to the U.S., which has done little to press the refugee issue or welcome North Korean defectors to America's own shores. And most directly culpable is the U.N. While it is specifically charged with aiding refugees, the U.N. has been stunningly silent about the North Koreans (in contrast to its vocal efforts last month to hold onto its lucrative oil-funded aid programs in Iraq).

If the U.N. high commissioner for refugees, Ruud Lubbers, possessed the courage and convictions of a Mr. Seok, he would have used his agency's ample resources to make a crusade of helping the human beings fleeing the holocaust that is North Korea. But as it has played out, while Mr. Seok was awaiting his sentence in China last week, Mr. Lubbers was in Washington pocketing a fresh U.S. pledge of $85 million for his refugee agency, which doesn't even list the North Koreans among the clients of its official rescue operations.

In all the international grappling over how to handle North Korea, with its famine, repression and policy of nuclear extortion, the most safely and easily addressed problem--and the most chronically dismissed--is the issue of providing asylum for the refugees. Along with the towering moral argument summed up by the phrase "never again," help for North Korean refugees carries some possibility of bringing down a regime that on any grounds--global security, regional stability and basic morality--must go. Whatever debate about the Pyongyang regime we are now hearing in Washington still translates into no help whatsoever for ordinary North Koreans. And Mr. Seok, who hoped to photograph refugees reaching freedom, is now in prison himself, in China. This is called the triumph of evil, and it is no small matter.

Ms. Rosett is a columnist for OpinionJournal.com and The Wall Street Journal Europe. Her column appears alternate Wednesdays.

I could have added a phrase on UN (and US) silence, but that would have been over doing it.

So, here we have a tradgedy in four parts -- the plight of North Korean refugees, the unwillingness of South Korea to help them, the persecution of those who are willing, and the silence of the world-at-large.

It make me sick.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

That's what happens when you have *******s like Kim Jong-Il holding millions of people hostage.

What happens if you welcome them with open arms, the floodgates open, and Dear Leader and his top cronies decide this doesn't benefit their futures? How many people's lives would you bet on predicting that rabid SOB's behaving rationally?

And now, he has or is about to acquire nukes.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I know, MtG, it's just the hopelessness of the situation is so frustrating. To help is to literally risk the lives of millions in and around Seoul, and probably Japan, as well. To just sit on our hands and let other millions be condemned to living in that hellhole...dammit, what can we do?

Comment

And how about the New York Times' giant voice.

Here's all the news that was fit to print in the Times about their employee.

CHINA: 5 SENTENCED FOR AIDING REFUGEES A Chinese court sentenced five people, two of them South Korean, to prison terms of up to five years for trying to smuggle a group of North Korean refugees out of China in January, a court official said. The court in Shandong Province sentenced Choi Yong Hun, a South Korean aid worker, to five years in prison and Seok Jae Hyun, a freelance South Korean photographer who tried to document the failed operation, to two years, the official said. Two Chinese citizens and a North Korean were sentenced to two to three years. The verdicts were criticized by the Committee to Protect Journalists, based in New York, which called for Mr. Seok's release. Mr. Seok has done freelance work for The New York Times and Geo, a South Korean magazine, and has taught photojournalism.
        ---
        This is a big problem in journalism. Media outlets use cheap freelancers to cover the world's trouble spots and then forget about them when they get injured.

Compare this coverage to the coverage of the full-time NY Times reporter who got murdered.
        Golfing since 67

Comment

Read Macchiavelli.

At least here there's pretty compelling reasons not to act unless we see something clearly in our interests.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
            This is a big problem in journalism. Media outlets use cheap freelancers to cover the world's trouble spots and then forget about them when they get injured.
            Tim Page, anyone?

Comment

Ah, yes. Your freedom fighters are my terrorists. Your "plighted refugees" are my "illegal immigrants." You pot, me kettle.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You troll, me no understand intended point of troll?

How many journalists have we imprisoned for two years lately?

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  Your "plighted refugees" are my "illegal immigrants."
                  HAHAHAHA That's just what I say about the clandestine boatloads of starving Chinese that wash ashore Vancouver island all the time! LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE A COMMON BOND HERE!

Comment

MtG,

I was making two points. First of all, we do not have full information of the story. Is Mr Seok really innocent? Or rather, is he really clean of any criminal offenses? Secondly, what would happen if RoK accept any and all DPRK refugees without restraint? It'd like Germany right after reunification, but a lot worse off.
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

What makes you think North Korea would let them go?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                        I know, MtG, it's just the hopelessness of the situation is so frustrating. To help is to literally risk the lives of millions in and around Seoul, and probably Japan, as well. To just sit on our hands and let other millions be condemned to living in that hellhole...dammit, what can we do?
                        And just imagine that. in a few months or a year down the road, to do anything NK considers "hostile" means putting lives at risk in the continental United States as well.

Gatekeeper
                        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                          That's why the South Koreans preferred their "Sunshine Policy." The only way out is to help the DPRK to develop its own economy.

Comment

I don't think the economy is really the problem, it's the amount of that economy devoted to the military.

Comment

It's not a simple issue. Sure, military spending is huge, but that's because the DPRK is paranoid. The US making threatening noises just shows that they are right. The more they are pushed into a corner, the more extreme they'd become.

Comment

Working...
                              X