Cannes Film Festival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannes Film Festival

I heard the films here were so bad they were laughed at by Hollywood... some I never even heard of.. can anybody provide me a clear article on what this fiasco was about? And what is the Elephant film? I just briefly heard of it.. don't know the specifics.. another one of those anti-american movies? Sheesh...
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Cannes is an anti-American festival held by the International Organization of Communists (IOC). They also preside over the Olympics.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Notice how Cannes and communist both start with c.
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Hollywood is the last place on earth that can laugh at the artistic qualites of movies.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Re: Cannes Film Festival

Originally posted by Fez
          And what is the Elephant film? I just briefly heard of it.. don't know the specifics.. another one of those anti-american movies? Sheesh...
          Now there's a classic Fez quote.
          Golfing since 67

Comment

If Cannes had been a anti-american filmfestival Doville would have won at least two prizes instead of the elephant film. Dogville was loved by all critics except the ones from USA who wounderd why Lars von Trier would like to erase America from the world map basicly.

The filmfestival is by no meen anti-american. It's a filmfestival that still to some degre isn't as commercial as the Oscars.

Over and out
            This is my principles! If you don't like them I have others!
            I'm not afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens.
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

the elephant film is based upon the colombine masacre. I don't know anything of the quality of the film though. What I've heard though is that it is a follower of those crazy right religious freaks in US who still belive that the cause of the massacre is Drugs and violent videogames. A pro America film then, ay?
              This is my principles! If you don't like them I have others!
              I'm not afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens.
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

The problem with Cannes from what I heard is that the films were of very poor quality.

I don't think it is.. Ambro.. the developer is some wacko... but not at all religious from what I heard...

More here...

You gotta read that to believe it.

I am stunned...
                For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
                  The problem with Cannes from what I heard is that the films were of very poor quality.

I don't think it is.. Ambro.. the developer is some wacko... but not at all religious from what I heard...

More here...

You gotta read that to believe it.

I am stunned...
                  Stunned by what, exactly? That someone thinks gun violence in the US is a problem? That someone would make a fictionalized account of Columbine? That the director of Drugstore Cowboy and Good Will Hunting (along with a lot of dreck, admittedly) made a good film? Stunned that it was well-reviewed in a Canadian paper?

You really need to get out more...
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

just imagine what Fez could think of Dogville and its brechtian dramaturgy and distanciation....

Spoiler:
                    thank you, comrade brecht, said Lars Von Trier
                    "Just because you're paranoid doesnt mean there's not someone following me..."
                    "I shall return and I shall be billions"

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Stunned by what, exactly? That someone thinks gun violence in the US is a problem? That someone would make a fictionalized account of Columbine? That the director of Drugstore Cowboy and Good Will Hunting (along with a lot of dreck, admittedly) made a good film? Stunned that it was well-reviewed in a Canadian paper?

You really need to get out more...
                      You really have to read the whole article.

And I know what gun violence is.. I lived in Latin America long enough to figure that out.

This isn't a good film.... I am just stunned anybody bothered looking at it.

Comment

Fez reads The Toronto Star!! No wonder he's on a rant all the time.
                        Golfing since 67

Comment

Fez is starting to sound a lot like a conservative American. I think you'll fit right in with the jingos in this country Fezzikins! You're already thinking in black and white. If Cannes isn't worshipping and praising the great American God, then they must be dirty commie pigs! Warm up the helicopter! IT'S COMMIE THROWING TIME!
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
                            Fez reads The Toronto Star!! No wonder he's on a rant all the time.
                            The article was on drudgereport.

Sava, you fool.. I didn't say anything about my views on gun violence infact if you read the article you see why I am stunned. I am just waiting for somebody to read the entire thing and point out what I am stunned about.

Comment

huh? I didn't say anything about gun violence?
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X