No announcement yet.

Quick question: how do I find my IP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ashie enjoys demeaning people. Don't take away his fun.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Hi Professor panag,

If I may, I'd like to point out that if your computer was not broadcasting an IP address, you would most certainly not be receiving this message.

Since this concept is apparently complex for you, perhaps an analogy would suffice? Think of your post office -- when you send letters to strange people, how do they know who to send it back to unless you put a return address on it?

Cheers,
      Elder Asher of the Church of Latter-Day Saints
      hi ,

no sweat , .....

ever heard of those mailboxes you can rent at the postoffice , or seen them forwarding papers they have , ....

elder panag of the panag religion

have a nice day
      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

If I may, I'd like to point out that if your computer was not broadcasting an IP address, you would most certainly not be receiving this message.
        Unicast is not broadcast.
        "In some of its more lunatic aspects, political correctness is merely ridiculous. But in the thinking behind it, there is something more sinister which is shown by the fact that already there are certain areas and topics where freedom of speech, in the sense of the right to open and frank discussion, is being gradually but significantly eroded." -- Judge Neil Denison

Comment

Originally posted by panag
          hi ,

no sweat , .....

ever heard of those mailboxes you can rent at the postoffice , or seen them forwarding papers they have , ....

elder panag of the panag religion

have a nice day
          Proxies just add one more step, but at the end of the day you broadcast to the proxy so they know where to send it back, too.

Unicast is not broadcast.
          Unicast isn't a word...
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Unicast isn't a word...
            Yes it is. Along with other TCP/IP terms like anycast, broadcast and multicast.
            "In some of its more lunatic aspects, political correctness is merely ridiculous. But in the thinking behind it, there is something more sinister which is shown by the fact that already there are certain areas and topics where freedom of speech, in the sense of the right to open and frank discussion, is being gradually but significantly eroded." -- Judge Neil Denison

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorance
              Yes it is. Along with other TCP/IP terms like anycast, broadcast and multicast.
              This isn't a technical forum, and obviously not a technical thread, so I assumed we were using the dictionary-definition of broadcast rather than TCP/IP...
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The usual definition of broadcasting is not just "transmitting".
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

This isn't a technical forum, and obviously not a technical thread, so I assumed we were using the dictionary-definition of broadcast rather than TCP/IP...
                  Ok then:

Broadcast \Broad"cast`\, a. 1. Cast or dispersed in all directions, as seed from the hand in sowing; widely diffused.

Nope. Your computer doesn't do this. Your IP address will only be known by the computer you are connecting to, and the intermediate steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorance
                    Ok then:

Broadcast \Broad"cast`\, a. 1. Cast or dispersed in all directions, as seed from the hand in sowing; widely diffused.

Nope. Your computer doesn't do this. Your IP address will only be known by the computer you are connecting to, and the intermediate steps.
                    Depends which definition you want to use.
                    broad·cast ( P ) Pronunciation Key (brôdkst)
                    v. broad·cast, or broad·cast·ed broad·cast·ing, broad·casts
                    v. tr.
                    To transmit (a radio or television program) for public or general use.
                    To send out or communicate, especially by radio or television

Look at the text that was posted, making fun of the banner ads. It's intended to make people think their IP Address is private and no one should know about it, at least that's how I interpreted it.

And panag too, since he brought up proxies...

Comment

Ignorance.

Asher:
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

v. tr.

Look at the text that was posted, making fun of the banner ads. It's intended to make people think their IP Address is private and no one should know about it, at least that's how I interpreted it.
                        I know. I've seen the banner. Yes, IP address is not private, however it's still far from being "broadcasted" anywhere.

Unless you are saying all transmissions are broadcasts, which just doesn't work. Or is talking on the phone broadcasting also?

Comment

v. tr.

And panag too, since he brought up proxies...
                          hi ,

and what are you going to do with dynamic ip , ....

that changes avery hour or so , .....

and still you are able to post on poly

have a nice day
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Computer geeks and semantics shouldn't mix.
                            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Working...
                            X