The Apolyton Science Fiction Discussion Group: July Votes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stefu
    You might want to make a rule about not nominating two books by a same author.

And the Turtledove book nominated better not be anything other than Guns of the South.

Howabout Ruled Britannia?

Bestseller Turtledove (American Empire, etc.) buckles a handsome Elizabethan swash with his latest fascinating what if: suppose the Spanish Armada had beaten the Virgin Queen's little navy and reimposed on England the fanatic Roman Catholicism of Bloody Mary Tudor and her ruthless husband, Philip II of Spain. For almost a decade, the English have chafed under Philip's daughter Isabella and her Austrian consort, as well as the Inquisition, enforced by arrogant dons, their hired-gun Irish gallowglasses (rumored to be cannibals) and English Catholic sympathizers. Good Queen Bess languishes in the Tower of London while her supporters plot rebellion-to be sparked by no less than a patriotic new play by Will Shakespeare, Turtledove's lovingly drawn hero, who's drawn willy-nilly into the conspiracy by Elizabeth's former minister, Lord Burghley. The author revels in complex turns of language and spouts brilliant adaptations of the real Shakespeare's immortal lines. Superbly realized historical figures include the "darkly handsome," doomed Kit Marlowe and the Machiavellian Robert Cecil. Equally engaging are such lesser characters as the "cunning woman" Cicely Sellis, who "thinks of England." Turtledove has woven an intricate and thoroughly engrossing portrait of an era, a theatrical tradition, a heroic band of English brothers and their sneering overlords. O, brave alternative world that has such people in't!
    Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Don't forget his next book...

Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

"Howabout Ruled Britannia?"

Isn't it only out in Hardback?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
          "Howabout Ruled Britannia?"

Isn't it only out in Hardback?
          I'm not sure, but it could be. Sorry.

Comment

This is a bit off topic, but I've been searching in vain for the discussion of Red Mars and can't find it. I've almost finished it and would love to see what's been said.
            Life and death is a grave matter;
            all things pass quickly away.
            Each of you must be completely alert;
            never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

For any of the sf threads, just sort the threads by thread starter for the past 100 days and look for my name. A number of them are archived as well - Handmaid's Tale, iirc.

Comment

Ah...thanks...I'm going to check it out.
                Life and death is a grave matter;
                all things pass quickly away.
                Each of you must be completely alert;
                never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Having borrowed Perdido Street Station from the Library, I am going to assume that it has won and read it.
                  Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                  X