No announcement yet.

Illian Hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He is a crusty old white guy. He's just married to a hot young Phillipina.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

That's the name of a hill not far from our home in the Philippines that Dolores and I used to hike up every week or so, early early, in the cool of the morning. It's a good hike with enough up to it to satisfy us. On top there is a Catholic chapel and some benches where one can catch the first morning stirring of the tropical breeze. Dolores will go in to her prayers while I go sit on a bench. The benches overlook our town of Jagna, surrounded by rice pattys, where the farmers are already working. The streets come to life and get busy, the harbor and market area the focus of the buzz of life. The sun becomes intense and chases us off, we walk home down a cool forested lane, and another day in the Philippines has begun.
      Sounds Hemingway-ish. You should write...

Very peaceful... I like it. Me and my friends use to go to The Lost Coast in Norther Cali for spring break. Great place to hike, watch passing whales, taunt the seals, and stare off into the night sky will taking drags of a warm bottle of cheap whiskey.

Haven't had any peace in about 6 years now...
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        He is a crusty old white guy. He's just married to a hot young Phillipina.
        hehehe...
        do you know Lancer personally or something?
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

"Sounds Hemingway-ish. You should write..."

Thanks...

Japher, why haven't you had any peace for 6 years?

Sava, yup, crusty old white guy.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Bump for Japher

Comment

Japher, why haven't you had any peace for 6 years?
              That's how long I have been out of college. Since then I have been working my tail off. The only vacations I get are to go see my family (and that ain't fun seeing as I'm the black sheep). Even in college I never took vacations, except a spring break to go camping... Worked all summer.

What I really need is just sometime for myself. To do nothing somewhere I don't have to worry about anything...

We'll see; I am taking my wife to Mexico next month for some R&R.. that would be the first.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Well, why don't you guys come to the Philippines with us? My wife, Dolores, would love the company of another woman. Our plan is to help people who either can't hear or speak to get a needed operation, whatever that is. Only operable people of course. Each of us helps one person. Health care there is very cheap... I once was in a private hospital in a private room for three days. IV, meds...everything, cost around $200...and they hit me pretty hard. So who knows what an operation might cost...$500? They could never accumulate that much in their lifetimes.

What a gift!

Can either stay at the Garden Cafe itself, or our place. Garden Cafe has clean aircon rooms w/ bath for around $10 a night. No aircon, shared bath for about $5. Stay at our place for free. We have a nice 5 bedroom there with one extra aircon room. Zkribbler has it if he wants it. We go way back...

Smoking on the communal balcony only.

Tentative time for travel is Sept '04.

Comment

Yes, I found the thread Lancer. Sounds like a good time. Only time will tell what is going on with me next year but I will keep it in mind. I visited the Phillipines when I was in the Navy about 35 years ago...

Comment

Lincoln's in! WooHoo!

This could turn out to be the great Philippine Poly DoGooders Meet O ' '94!

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                      Lincoln's in! WooHoo!
                      Acckk! Lancer, Lincoln and me?? I think we need some more Democrats.

Comment

Not to worry Zkribbler! Lincoln and I will put a pod under your bed and come morning you'll be at one with the Right...

IF you are a democrat, and you want to save Zkribbler, help a deaf person or one who can't speak, have a great, inexpensive vacation seeing a different culture during fiesta time, then join our group! Or, if you're a fellow republican, join and increase the odds! 3-1, 4-1 WooHoo!

Here's a breakdown of the costs.

I have to take a short flight from Oregon to SFO, then there's an option. Can fly SFO to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific, then on to Cebu, taking a jet boat from there to Tagbilaran, Bohol. In Tag we usually have a van meet us.
                        The Oregon/SFO/Hong Kong/Cebu usually comes in around $800-900, though I got it for $730 or so several years back. That's round trip. The jet boat is about $12 iirc, one way.

Or, can fly SFO to Manila on Philippine airlines, then take a cruise ship to Tag. Not as fancy a cruise ship as Princess lines, but not as fancy a price...$25-$30 for a ticket, including basic meals of rice and chicken. There's a restaurant with other food that you have to pay for. There's a lounge as well. Dolores usually makes up some snacks for this portion of the trip.

Oregon/SFO/Manila can cost $1000 or a bit more. The cruise, $25-$30 one way.

I like Cathay Pacific because we land in Cebu. It's easy to have family meet us there and it's closer to home. If later we want to take a cruise somewhere and back we can do that.

You'll find prices at your travel agent of $1700, or $2500...forget that. We use 'All Connection Travel' in Tigard Oregon. They are the cheapest we've ever found. Our agent, Emmy, is a Philipino and seems to work on quantity. Anyone that knows about All Connection, uses them. You can use anyone you want, just when the time comes we'll have to act quickly so as to all get on the same plane at least.

Comment

When you get there, everything is cheap. For instance, three beers for a dollar, out. Three packs of Marlboros for a dollar for you smokers. A kilo (2.2 lbs) of fresh (live) large shrimp for $2. Fresh fish of all sorts, soo cheap. 20 cents for a little tuna.

If you want luxury, a resort that would cost $250 a night anywhere else is $40 to $50.

Like diving? Bohol is one of the premier diving spots. Myself, I don't jump off the top of the food chain for anything.

Comment

"Sounds Hemingway-ish. You should write..."

You beat me to it, well said! Hemmingway didn't have such style however, this guy is better.

Comment

Working...
                            X