Radiohead - I don't get it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
    I like my music imediate, kinetic, original and raw, ie. everything Radiohead is not. What they did to music was take the quite hard-rockin' alt-rock format, infuse it with pretentious pseudo-intellectual gibberish and ideas, bleed all life out of it and plaster on the most whiny lyrics known to mankind. Like prog rockers a generation before them they tried to turn the visceral, lively, youthful artform that is Rock'n'Roll into pompous, tediously anaemic "music" for desexed people whose idea of excitement is tea with an extra cube of sugar in it, spawning dozens of awful copycat acts (Doves, anyone?) and being instrumental in the process that ruined music in the nineties.
    Holy crap, learn to get an opinion why don't you Buck?
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

The problem is, I think, Buck doesn't know what he likes.

imediate(sic), kinetic, original and raw

describes The White Stripes perfectly, and AFAIK, he doesn't like them...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Electric Six, Snappy?
        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Asher, Johan is a big fan of the White Stripes.

(For the record, I think they're crap)
          Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
            Asher, Johan is a big fan of the White Stripes.
            Hmmm.

Well I seem to remember from CG that he didn't like the last half of Elephant, but I'm probably mistaken for how much he didn't like it.

If he does like it, yay for consistency.

Except I think Missy Elliot isn't very raw, except for her lyrics which are absolutely raw in a terrible, terrible way.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I think the second half of Elephant is good, but doesn't match up to the first half which (with the exception of one song) may be one of the finest seven-song sequences in music history.
              Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
              Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
                I think the second half of Elephant is good, but doesn't match up to the first half which (with the exception of one song) may be one of the finest seven-song sequences in music history.
                yay!! =)

Comment

Radiohead:

I don't understand it either. Then again, the Limp Bizkitization of Rock made me leave the genre, first, to Classic Rock, then out of the genre entirely.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Heh...that's very silly reasoning, Imran.

There's still lots of great rock bands out there that aren't like Limp Bizkit. Also note that Limp Bizkit has dropped off the face of the earth.

Besides, you moved to country. Jeez.

Comment

Yeah, I found the light. Country is so much better than the rock scene. And Limp Bizkit hasn't dropped off. I just heard this Linkin Park crap, and it's the same deal! This rap-rock, rock-core, whatever... hate it!! Though that Evanesance band isn't half bad.... though they used to be Jesus freaks...

Sorry, I'll take Alan Jackson and Toby Keith any day.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Stefu
                        While Snapcase's musical taste doesn't quite jive with mine.....
                        I'd like to point out this common errror in english usage, which I see many people make, many of them native speakers. The correct phrase is jibe with, and not jive with. Jibe in this instance means to agree. Jibe here is the least common usage of the term, which was apparantly started in 19th c. North America from uncertain origins.

Jibe (1) an insulting or mocking remark (noun)

Jibe (2) changing course by swinging the sail across a following wind (verb)

Jibe (3) be in accordance, agree (verb)
                        He's got the Midas touch.
                        But he touched it too much!
                        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

To the point of the thread: I like Radiohead, though I wouldn't describe them as one of my favorite all-time bands or anything. I am interested in what they do musically however. Like previous posters, one of the reasons I like them (and other prog-rock bands) is that they aren't completely predictable. This means that they are sort of like anti-pop. The good news is that their music remains enjoyable for far longer than most pop music, but it takes longer for most people to "get" it. Anyone who does this is alright in my book, and Radiohead is even better because I like their music as well.

As for lyrics, I never bother with them unless they are readily comprehensible, which is thankfully not the case with so much music. I find that lyrics rarely add to my appreciation of music, but can work the opposite magic, and do so regularly. So I have no idea what sort of meanings the singer / lyricist is trying to give the music. All I know is that in this band his efforts are not bringing the efforts of his bandmates to grief. Lets hear it for undecipherable lyrics!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            Yeah, I found the light. Country is so much better than the rock scene. And Limp Bizkit hasn't dropped off. I just heard this Linkin Park crap, and it's the same deal! This rap-rock, rock-core, whatever... hate it!! Though that Evanesance band isn't half bad.... though they used to be Jesus freaks...

Sorry, I'll take Alan Jackson and Toby Keith any day.
                            Please take them, far away.

Comment

Working...
                            X