Radiohead - I don't get it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiohead - I don't get it

Some people - many people - love Radiohead. I don't. I don't hate them, as such, but honestly, I can't see what makes them such godhead to so many people. I was reading some Amazon customer reviews for OK Computer and some of them are amazing. Anyone who doesn't like Radiohead is a moron. Anyone who gives OK Computer less than five stars is a trodgolyte who probably listens to Limp Bizkit. If you don't like Radiohead, you just haven't listened to the record, man.

So I DLed the entire record yesterday. I mean, attempts to get into individual songs were failures, so maybe if I listen to it in it's entirety, something clicks and I get into it. 's happened before, though usually I like at least few songs by the band before the love kicks in.

Sorry, no. It's still the same old Radiohead. Thom alternates between whining, mumbling and occasionally yelping, with the emphasis on whining, which incidentally is the bane and scourge of much of the music in the nineties, particularily from Britain. The music's occasionally inventive and mostly rather inconsequential, but it's ruined by the constant whii-iiii-iii-ne. "Paranoid Android" is enchanting at places, and at least the band manages to divert some attention from Thom's voice in "Electioneering", but especially towards the end it sounds like they're just doing self-parody. Apart from (maybe) a few songs, it's pretty forgettable, even boring.

And besides, every time I see Mr. Yorke's picture, he looks *so* eminently slappable.
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Has your appearance become more masculine?

Comment

Street Spirit was a good tune...
      Certainly not my all time favorite tho..
      Up The Millers

Comment

I don't get the Radiohead business either.

Coldplay, too. Coldplay has two good songs as far as I'm concerned: Clocks and Yellow (The Scientist being a runnerup, but not quite good). Everything is more of the same.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yellow blows. Its the whiniest of all their songs. Some of the others are better if you haven't heard Yellow first, but it took me a long time to overcome my dislike of Coldplay.

Radiohead I dunno, I've heard better.
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Thank you for this thread Stefu. Radioghead is ****ty whining and I don't like Limp Bizkitz either, they suck even more.
            "Relax, pay your income tax!" - The Fast Show
            "Once you discover white paint, you'll never wash your underwear again." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

I love both Radiohead and Coldplay
              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I think they are pretentious nobs with no talent. In short, they suck.

edit: and I hate how rock reviewers attempt to give some intellectual weight to music that has none.

Bah, humbug.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

At first I didn't quite know what to do with Radiohead either, but I like OK Computer. You have to be in the right mood, though. Their more recent stuff (especially Kid A) is definitely NOT my thing though... Maybe you like their earlier things, like Creep? Well, I don't know too much about them really... Oh, I just LOVE "Exit music (for a film)".

It's about the same for Coldplay. Only since "The scientist" have they really caught my attention. Before that I thought it was mostly um... a bunch of ****ty whining. Maybe I should try again.
                  Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Has anyone ever been in a pub when they come on the jukebox?
                    It's like someone pressed the 'off' button on the atmosphere!

Comment

From the average tar content in the atmosphere of most British pubs, I can't say I'd find that a bad thing.

[/facetious]
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

karma police
                        pyramid song

I like those
                        CSPA

Comment

Radiohead

Coldplay
                          "An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Comment

coldplay is a decent band. "green eyes" is one of my favourites
                            CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by Jeltz
                              Thank you for this thread Stefu. Radioghead is ****ty whining and I don't like Limp Bizkitz either, they suck even more.
                              There's nothing wrong with Limp Bizkit that a flamethrower can't fix.
                              - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                              - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                              - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Working...
                              X