No announcement yet.

Tassadar! Utah to Execute Two by Firing Squad Per Condemned Inmates' Requests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tassadar! Utah to Execute Two by Firing Squad Per Condemned Inmates' Requests

These guys are bozos. Read on, and note bold.

Thu May 22, 6:21 PM ET
    By C.G. WALLACE, Associated Press Writer

SALT LAKE CITY - The only state that dispatches condemned inmates by firing squad is assembling gunmen for back-to-back executions next month.

The nation's last execution by firing squad was in 1996.

Exercising their right under Utah law, serial killer Roberto Arguelles and Troy Michael Kell, a white supremacist who stabbed a fellow inmate to death, have chosen the firing squad over lethal injection and are set to die at 12:01 a.m. on June 27 and 28, respectively.

However, Kell filed an appeal last week that will probably halt his execution.

Of the 850 inmates put to death in the United States since the U.S. Supreme Court (news - web sites) reinstated capital punishment in 1976, two have died by firing squad, both in Utah: Gary Gilmore in 1977 became the first person executed in the United States after the court's ruling, and John Albert Taylor was put to death 19 years later.

Since 1977, Utah has executed four other killers, all by injection.

Anti-death penalty forces are protesting, arguing that the firing squad amounts to cruel and unusual punishment. And the prison is bracing for large crowds of protesters.

Utah's use of firing squads predates statehood in 1896 and is a remnant of the early Mormon belief that bloodshed is a required punishment for taking a life, said Richard Dieter, director of the Death Penalty Information Center, which says it is neutral about the death penalty but critical of its application.

"Certainly no other state has continued its use or allowed people to choose it. It's the one thing that stands out," Dieter said. "It's part of the history, so there's a reluctance to change."

The notion that murder must be atoned for in blood has never been part of official church doctrine, and the Mormon church has not taken a formal position on execution methods, said Robert Millet, Brigham Young University religion professor.

The Utah Corrections Department is recruiting law enforcement officers for two five-person firing squads, asking the police departments in the communities where the crimes were committed to nominate volunteers.

The officers' identities will not be released, and participants will be barred from talking publicly about the experience.

A hood will be put over the condemned man's head and a target will be pinned over his heart. The executioners will fire simultaneously from gun portals (news - web sites) in a separate room at the inmate, seated in a chair about 30 feet away.

One of the five rifles will contain a blank so that no one will know who fired the fatal shots.

In 1992, Arguelles abducted and strangled Margo Bond, a janitor at a junior high school where he had been hunting for teenage victims. He also kidnapped, sexually assaulted and killed two girls, ages 13 and 15, and stabbed a 16-year-old girl more than 40 times. He was sentenced to death in 1997. Arguelles has repeatedly said he wants to die.

Kell was convicted in 1996 of killing a black man, Lonnie Blackmon, at the Utah State Prison. Kell, serving time for a previous murder, stabbed Blackmon 67 times with a homemade knife in 1994. A prison videotape shows Kell shouting, "White power!" during the attack.

Utah has 11 men on death row. Besides Arguelles and Kell, two other inmates have chosen to die by firing squad.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

"Since 1977, Utah has executed four other killers, all by injection."

Pretty poor record.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Yeah we all know you're so proud of your very own Texas...
      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

I can't wait for inmates to ask death by quartering
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

How about death by... The Sleep Watcher!
          Or death by... The Shotgun From Hell??
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Drawn and quartered.

Trajan, I know you like to leave them on the prowl.

I think it odd they got a choice, and chose firing squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
              How about death by... The Sleep Watcher!
              Or death by... The Shotgun From Hell??

uh-uh sleep watcher you say?

Btw that shotgun from hell sounds interesting, but also a tad bit painful as the pellets can end up in painful areas

Btw apparently some people would like to reinstate torture... oh yeah baby, bring on the rack!
              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

I don't know.. I might choose firing squad if I had to.
                I'd want to look at their eyes and watch it coming.
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Trajanus, if you want to know what The Sleep Watcher is, you gotta go to my thread 'Punisher Weapon Systems' in the first or second page.

Also, The Shotgun From Hell is not exactly a shotgun.
                  They could also choose The Sharpnel Shower. The Demoralizer doesn't kill, so it's no use here.
                  In da butt.

Comment

Justice shall be done.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

BTW I remember the case in 1996 and I believe the fellow choice death by firing squad just so he could file a last minute appeal to claim it was cruel and unusual thus delaying Justice. Fortunately, the Supreme Court did not stay the execution and the sentence was carried out.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Err, um, Pekka.

"A hood will be put over the condemned man's head and a target will be pinned over his heart."

No lookey.

Comment

What? Why?
                          In da butt.

Comment

I love you too slowwy
                            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

to justice.
                              "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Working...
                              X