Computer Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Help

This is a very stupid question, but do any of you all have keyboards where u can push a cresent moon buttton on your keyboard and the computer goes into standby. I was wondering if there is any way u can make the button just turn off the monitor but still leave the computer running, where my downloads can keep downloading.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

press the monitot I/O button?

I know what u mean tho. I have a laptop and I dont have a button to shut down my monitor.
    :-p

Comment

its not really for me or i would do that, its for my parents there strubbon and want listen to me when i say just turn the mointer off, instead they push the sleep button and i lose my downloads.
      Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Just go to the Power Management options in Control Panel and set it so that the monitor shuts itself off after a few minutes.

Comment

no my parents keep pushing the sleep button when i even tell them not to, thats why i need to change the sleep button

Comment

Did the keyboard come with software? If so, you could probably use that to reconfigure what that button does (ie: set it to do nothing) and then just set the monotor to turn itself off after a few minutes.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

We really a computer forum, me thinks
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Or what you could do is uninstall the drivers that work those extra buttons so they do nothing. Not easy for the beginner.

What I did was - I didn't install the driver in the first place.
                Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Just paint the screen black with once-on emulsion. No-one will know the difference.

Comment

you dont understand my parents always push the sleep button even when i tell them not to, thats why i need to change the function of the sleep key. Skany it didnt come with any software, and i have already went into power management and there is no option to make the monitor turn off. Red Jon i dont know what your talking about.

Comment

Red Jon was trying to be funny at the wrong time.

OK, rather than getting the monitor to power down totally, what you can do is adjusting the display/monitor/screensaver so it displays a blank screen after a preset number of minutes.

Look for a small keyboard icon on the start bar - some driver sets put up an icon there and some don't. Try right clicking rather than left clicking. If it clearly not a button for adjusting the keyboard extras, click elsewhere on the screen and try the next one.

If you can't find it there, try looking in control panel.
                      "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Remove the button. A screwdriver could be helpful.

Comment

Look around for you comp software, My Keyboard has function buttons (altho no standby sadly) and with my computer i installed a disk that put on a program to change them. It is called Hotkeys. You may find such a program is already installed, if so go to 'Control Panel' and click on Keyboard.

If it then does not have the option to configure these buttons click on the 'hardware' tab and there should be an option to Uninstall driver (This is assuming you have Evil XP)
                          Cheers
                          Matt
                          Up The Millers

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                            We really a computer forum, me thinks
                            When there are genius' here like Cruddy and Paul Hanson ect it may seen a good idea to create a forum, but the idea of posting it here is that your message will be read and often replied to within minutes as opposed to hours.

My gf recently asked me if Apolytoners could solve everything after we worked out what card we needed for the TV, I'm not sure but it's a possibility!!!
                            Up The Millers

Comment

Originally posted by Rothy

When there are genius' here like Cruddy...
                              Credit where it's due. I'm OK with hardware but a complete buffoon with XP and Internet stuff like Spybots.

Skanky Burns and Panag deserve deserve a big hand too

... and doubtless a lot of others I'm too new to even know about.

Now, back to the problem. I guess your parents aren't going to like you removing that button (hey, we all like pressing buttons, right?).

Keep looking for a driver - think of it as a learning process. You may never find that elusive "turn off extra buttons" box to click on, but you'll learn lots of other stuff while you're at it.

Comment

Working...
                              X