Terror Alert Raised to Orange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lorizael
    And in that time, how many times have we been attacked?
    See, it's working.

(It's also imporant to note whether other countries (or Americans in those countries) have been attacked too...)
    "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

And before 9/11, how many times had the US been attacked by foreign terrorists on US soil?

I say US soil because it is Homeland Security. Homeland Security shouldn't apply to anything but that which occurs within the borders of the United States.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

And before 9/11, how many times had the US been attacked by foreign terrorists on US soil?
        Well, the '93 WTC attack and the attempted attack on LAX during the millenium cellebration that was stopped come first to mind, although there were a number of smaller attacks before then, IIRC. Hmm. Does an attack on a US embassy count as an attack on US soil?

I say US soil because it is Homeland Security. Homeland Security shouldn't apply to anything but that which occurs within the borders of the United States.
        Sometimes the terrorists aren't obliging enough to inform the US where they're planning to carry out their terror attacks. The times they've increased the level was due to an increase in chatter between terrorists, simmilar to what was seen in the days before 9/11. And I would think it better that the government be safe and inform the people of that increased chatter (even through silly color systems) than to not inform the public - I mean, it's not as if they've been doing this every other week - just 3 times in 20 months.

(Homeland security shouldn't also apply to domestic terrorists?)
        Last edited by Edan; May 20, 2003, 18:36.
        "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Edan

While I'm not a fan of the system, this is only the third time it's being raised in 20 months.
          When I am told that the threat of a terrorist attack is "High" then I am expecting something. If the probability is "high" then it would seem more likely than not that an attack would occur. The government is reacting to the same type of signals that occured before 9/11...I think that this is good, but to saythat I should expect an attack when "chatter" increases??

Give me yellow1 to yellow 2, but don't give me orange unless you have specific intelligence that an attack is planned. Save red for when you know it is imminent.
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
            Wow, an entire new government department to tell me the color of the day..didn;t Sesame street do it, for a heck of a lot less? And whom do you prefer, Grover or Tom Ridge?
            TERROR ALERT ERNIE
            Attached Files

Comment

Bwahahaha!

Comment

In other news, the nation's mood ring is Lavender.
                Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Edan

Well, the '93 WTC attack and the attempted attack on LAX during the millenium cellebration that was stopped come first to mind, although there were a number of smaller attacks before then, IIRC. Hmm. Does an attack on a US embassy count as an attack on US soil?

Sometimes the terrorists aren't obliging enough to inform the US where they're planning to carry out their terror attacks. The times they've increased the level was due to an increase in chatter between terrorists, simmilar to what was seen in the days before 9/11. And I would think it better that the government be safe and inform the people of that increased chatter (even through silly color systems) than to not inform the public - I mean, it's not as if they've been doing this every other week - just 3 times in 20 months.

(Homeland security shouldn't also apply to domestic terrorists?)
                  Oh yah, it should. I meant to correct that, and then forgot.

Btw, I'm no against the system. I still think it's kinda funny that we haven't been attacked.

And my point is that our agencies are already very good at defending against terrorist attacks, especially when you look at what happens in other countries.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Oh yah, it should. I meant to correct that, and then forgot.

Btw, I'm no against the system. I still think it's kinda funny that we haven't been attacked.

And my point is that our agencies are already very good at defending against terrorist attacks, especially when you look at what happens in other countries.
                    Warning: rant
                    I actually think Bush dropped the ball somewhat with homeland security (being used for oh-so-useful things to our defense like tracking down the missing Texas democrats ). While I'm sure improvements have been made, there are still problems with airport security and the like. I suspect our security systems still aren't as good as Europe's (although certainly they've been at it for longer then we have) and that much of the reason we've been able to prevent attacks in the US has more to do with our war in Afghanistan (both in keeping Al Qaeda on the defense and gaining valuable intelligence info), probably a want by al qaeda to pull a 9/11-like attack elsewhere in the world, and the great bodies of water on both sides of us. And those reasons wont keep us safe forever.
                    rant over

Edit: Texas, not Taxes.

Comment

This time it's different. We got Rufus looking out for us now:

Department Of Homeland Security Deputizes Real Mean Dog
                      "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

Working...
                      X