Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What I really like about the company I work for.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by orange

Sava is a classy guy.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by GP
      TKG in San Diego had Friday brews during the last half hour of work. You were supposed to be clearing the dust off your desk while drinking a brew. And clearing the dust takes 1 minute. So you really had 29 minutes off. And the boss bought the beer. Very wise investment as there were lots of people in on saturdays, unpaid working hard. It was just a motivated place. 2370 La Jolla Village Drive (across from UTC).
      In the golden triangle. A very classy place; you must be in finance or insurence or a similiar field.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Re: Re: What I really like about the company I work for.

Originally posted by Locutus
        Uhm, isn't this normal for most companies?

Actually, if it's a cultural thing, this could explain why the company I currently work for is so rigid and uptight on this issue: it's an American company. All other companies I worked for in the past were Dutch and had company drinks at least once a week
        In the US this is a very rare thing. Many companies are afraid some one will drink to much, try to drive home, get into an accident, and then the company might get sued for "allowing" such a thing to happen.

I guess it is the legency of Prohibition and militant Protestantism.

Comment

The last two companies I have worked for do that, my wives company does that, and I know a bunch of other companies that have beer binges everyweek. If it is a cultural thing it might be a Cali or Bay Area thing.
          Monkey!!!

Comment

In the US this is a very rare thing.

It's less rare than you think. At my current place we have happy hour once a month. When I worked in the congress, we would have a beer or two and talk about the work we had done in the previous week. Excellent management gimmick.

However, Serb's workplace sounds pretty hardcore.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

When I worked in the congress, we would have a beer or two and talk about the work we had done in the previous week.
              Actually, Reps do that everyday beacuse the need to kill the hanger over they got from their morning "pick me ups"...
              Monkey!!!

Comment

One of the previous places where I managed, I used to keep a few cases of beer under the computer room raised floor. (kept it nice and cold) Whenever we had to go above and beyond, we'd pull it out.

One of the guys that worked for me is now doing motivational speeches, and he always recollects his experience by telling people the line I used to use.
                Motivate with beer, not with fear.
                (because fear only works when you're watching, and you can't afford to watch all the time.)
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well i'm motivated by here at Apolyton, If i dont be nice i get to go to Mingapulco, and his eyes never shut
                  Up The Millers

Comment

Another thing I like about my work is this: I'm a Geologist so I work away from the office alot. Many of the more senior Geologists don't really want to do their own field work; they don't want to get sweaty, sun-burned, biten by insects, and all the other things that happens when you get way out into the woods. I on the other hand love to be outside and would much rather be there then sitting at the office (even if I can't post on poly from out in the field ) so many people give me their field work.

So what's so good about that? What's cool about that is I end up working for a number of different people and no one, other then me, really knows for sure where I'm supposed to be or when I'm supposed to be there. Thus if I'm late for work or I leave a bit early people just assume I'm off doing something for someone else and no one ever says a word.

I'm also blessed because my cubical is right next to the back door and no one other then me ever uses the back door. So I get to go in and out without most people seeing me.

Comment

guess it is the legency of Prohibition and militant Protestantism.
                      I think it has a lot more to do with the potential liability that the company is exposed to. Which you can then trace to the abdication of personal responsibility and over-litigiousness of American society.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                      X