Divinity n' stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lorizael
    You say murder is wrong across the board, for example, yet in Confucian China it is less wrong for a person of higher social standing to murder than it is for a person of lower social standing.
    What? Wait. This is absolutely not true. There's an old Chinese saying that goes, "When the Emperor commits a crime, he is as guilty as a commoner."
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
      Sorry, St. Leo, but it must be said: this sort of half-assed rationalization is a perfect example of what I was saying re: the moral ineptitude of human beings. In situations, especially, where the absolute considerations of right and wrong are tainted by the promise of personal gain, anybody can find a way to say "[X] is right."
      What's the gain? I can't sell the song for a profit, all I got is a bunch of bits on some magnetic media. What's my gain?

In this case, using specialized equipment to gain for free what you would otherwise have to pay the creator for, essentially cheating an artist of his or her livelihood to some extent.
      First of all, there are many other ways to have access to a song. For example, I can listen to a radio station, and switch to another one when the commericals come on. Is there any difference between doing this than downloading a song? Secondly, most artists don't own copyrights to songs. It's the studios. That's why you are seeing the RIAA, not the artists, got all steamed over music sharing.

The Bible obviously couldn't cover anything resembling this because the technology did not exist back then.
      It's not a technolgy, it's a concept. It's the concept whether somebody could hold a monopoly to an artistic creation or not.

And with no printing presses, the profit from copyright infringement would be moot.
      Why? A person could surely have made a counterfeit of Mona Lisa and sold it for big bucks.

Technologically aided theft is still theft, but we are quite capable of rationalizing it here because of the electronic middleman.
      What theft? What was lost? What got stolen?

Similarly, many other improprieties can be altered by a little "logic" in the right direction. When a professor exchanges As for sex with a student, everybody wins, so what's the problem?
      This is entirely different. The problem here is similar to that of bribery.

When you desire a certain answer you WILL get it.
      What you are positing here is there are absolute rights and wrongs, based on some sort of transcendental moral system. Any deviation from this system is wrong, any attempts to explain one's position is rationalisation.
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

What? Wait. This is absolutely not true. There's an old Chinese saying that goes, "When the Emperor commits a crime, he is as guilty as a commoner."
        Oh damn... I seem to have gotten my facts horribly wrong. Okay... this was definetely true in Japan, though, I know that. Samurai could pretty much do as they pleased (unless their daimyo told them otherwise).
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Yup, Samurai were above the law mostly.

Comment

Working...
          X