Iraqi National Library Saved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraqi National Library Saved

Just like the stories of the looting at the National Museum were extremely overblown, so too is the torching of the National Library. As you will recall, the library contained priceless early copies of the Koran, one-of-a-kind copies of newspapers, etc.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Excellent news.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'm glad those people took it upon themselves to protect the library's contents.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Kuwaiti arsonists? Where the hell did "kuwaiti" arsonists" all of a sudden pop up in Baghdad on April 10th? Was the US bringing Kuwaitis along or something?

So let me get is straight: the library was still torched and looted, but like with the museum, people decided the US would do sh1t to protect cultural sites and they got whatever they could out themselves? Kudos to Iraqis if true, and shame on the US military still.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Hope it is as good news as we would like, but the report is confused. Anyway better than nothing.
          Statistical anomaly.
          The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Good news.

I still refuse to shed one tear for old shards of pottery and the like when held in balance with human life. If even one life was saved by NOT protecting this stuff, I say twas the lesser of two evils.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                GePap stick it up your ass, will you ?
                If you cant refure the truth, go with the Sloww!

Comment

There goes GePap, again. Finding the stormcloud over every rainbow.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I am still dubious bout the whole : Kuwaiti arsonist bit the cleric speaks about.

Comment

So they're mistrustful of the Kuwaitis. Who cares? It isn't central to the story.

Personally, I think it was the Baathists who did all of the arson.

Comment

Well, I guess then it would be a cheap shot to ask for collaboration on this one story from other sources, but I guess its better to let that sleeping dog lie.

Comment

So do I, Dan.

What there seems to be a shortage of, naturally, is pointing out the decidedly ggod things done, bu individual soldiers.
                          Like physically carrying a pregnant Iraqi woman to the hospital, where she had the baby.

No, I don't have the link.
                          It's at CNN. Go find it your damned selves.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                            I am still dubious bout the whole : Kuwaiti arsonist bit the cleric speaks about.
                            I agree. This tells us a lot about the speaker, doesn't it?
                            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Ahh Sloww...

Acts do not cancel each other out: either the correct thing was done in the given cricumstance, or it was not. That simple. It is wonderful that soldeirs give valuable and life saving aid to Iraqis when the situations arise. BUt saving a hudread pregnant women for a hundread days by 10,000 GI's would still not mean that our failure to protect various sites from looting and arson (by whomever) was still not a failing of the US in being able to porvide one of the things it is expected to porvide a -place we just took over militarily, securtity.

I always hear conservatives moan about moral relativism, well, don't indulge in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X