No announcement yet.

Anything Into Oil!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is cool. Humans can come up with all sorts of things that are amazing.
    Donate to the American Red Cross.
    Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Sava;

Remember, I'm a lazy piece of crap.
      Ditto.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
        Seriously, this sounds interesting. sadly, it doesn't tackle the problem of carbon dioxide emmissions.
        Actually it does. Oil created from biological material generally contains less pollutants overall when burned than the stuff we pump up from underground.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
          the ozone layer of the planet traps heat and allows us live... without the ozone layer, the nightime temperature of the Earth would be near zero Kelvin... the ozone effect referred to as the "greenhouse" effect is a microcosm of the large system. The same gases build up over a city, thus... warming it up
          The main role of the ozone layer is to block ultraviolet radiation from reaching the surface. It's role as a greenhouse gas is minimal compared to CO2 or Methane.

Comment

Its not just turkey offal, its anything organic, in theory. You could throw in living humans and make oil, but don't suggest that to Bush or he might just do it...
            "The Enrichment Center is required to inform you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake"
            Former President, C3SPDGI

Comment

I think we're getting a little confused here, to put it simply, so us not geekoids can understand it:

Ozone = O3

Ozone In Lower Atmosphere = Smog, and bad to breathe.

Ozone in Upper Atmosphere = UV protection.

Ozone is not really a significant greenhouse gas, even though it is a prinicpal component of smog.
              "The Enrichment Center is required to inform you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake"
              Former President, C3SPDGI

Comment

Oil created from biological material generally contains less pollutants overall when burned than the stuff we pump up from underground.
                Source?

Seems to me they said crude oil... It still needs to be cracked to create an energy source.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

this one will accept almost any carbon-based feedstock. If a 175-pound man fell into one end, he would come out the other end as 38 pounds of oil, 7 pounds of gas, and 7 pounds of minerals, as well as 123 pounds of sterilized water. While no one plans to put people into a thermal depolymerization machine, an intimate human creation could become a prime feedstock.

Reminds me of Meat grinder factory in Red alert 2. Put people in and you get some cash!

Evil man who likes to raze cities and kill have more reasons to have fun!
                  :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

Source?

Seems to me they said crude oil... It still needs to be cracked to create an energy source.
                    I can't provide a specific source since I got that information from various TV clips of research being conducted here in Canada. There's a number of groups doing research on bio-fuels here, and every so often their work pops into the news. In these clips it was mentioned that a diesel grade fuel could be created that was cleaner than crude oil, especially when it comes to sulphur emissions, but also less C02 and particulate matter.

Comment

The main advantage of this, as far as CO2 levels are concerned, is that all the CO2 released from burning fossil fuels is carbon that has been locked up for millions of years: you're adding carbon to the biosphere all the time by extracting and burning it.

...Whereas biofuel involves using carbon that's already in the biosphere, was recently extracted from the air by plants, and would be released back anyhow by decay of the waste plant/animal matter. So there is no year-on-year increase in CO2 from using it.

Comment

The more important thing is, that this CO2 would get to the atmosphere eventually, too. ( guess what happens to waste? )
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                          If we can turn turkey **** into oil can we turn people **** or cow **** into oil? I ask because every city in the world produces tons and tons of this stuff every day and the government is spending money hand over fist to try and get rid of it. Could this be a money making oppertunity (abet a foul smelling one)?
                          Considering that Butterball has already sunk more than twenty million dollars into this process, in this economy, I believe someone thinks so.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                          X