No announcement yet.

What kind of art do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poetry I like, but I couldn't find anything artistic in English poems. Chinese poems, on the other hand, can be pure genius.

Paintings - again, I am not too sure about Western ones, not being a pupil of them. I much prefer Eastern "water and ink" type paintings.

Music - I like most stuff. Classics, rocks, jazz, etc.

Operas I don't understand since i don't speak Italian, and some musicals are good.

Philosophy I can deal with, though I doubt that it's art.

Modern art ::vomit::

Dances - dances can be excellent. I particularly like ethnic ones.

Flower arrangements - these are great if done right.

Origami (paper folding) - don't knock this
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

If we are speaking in general terms of such forms I can find something in each genre I like.

Poetry: , Frost, Eliot, Service, even Silverstein

Painting: Lots I like, as far as modern art, I have seen some I like, but in general the only clich I like is grafitti

Music: oh yeah

Operas:

Philosophy: not an art form

Dances: I like the Ballet Russe, also I like to think of fighting styles as dances

Flower Arrangements: My wife likes them, so I have to

Musicals: In general I find them entertaining. Just saw Mama Mia, and it was good

Film Making: Love it as a genre

Cooking: of course

Mosaics, sculpting, moldling: truely a dieing art the needs to be revitalized.

Pekka
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Re: What kind of art do you like?

I like a lot of classical music, and a couple of operas are fun times (though generally they seem to be ****e), and I've enjoyed the majority of musicals that I've seen.

Paintings, sculptures, etc. bore me to tears. The only parts of museums that I usually like are the Dead Things section (dinosaur bones can keep me occupied for a little while) and the Splosions section (medieval arms and armor are fun times). If I'm forced to spend time in the Paintings section then I'll usually find that I like one or two paintings out of the hundreds or thousands that they've got. Same goes for the sculptures and whatnot. Modern art is ****e.

Poetry usually puts me to sleep, unless it's Dr. Seuss. Dr. Seuss kicks ass.

I like a few of Shakespeare's comedies, but his tragedies can all wrap around my ass.

Dance can bugger off. Modern, ballet, doesn't matter, they can all bugger off.

Filmmaking is fine, so long as it's not the kind of filmmaking that people would label as "works of art," in which case I generally don't like it.

I like reading about ethics in philosophy, and epistemology and cognitive philosophy have some application to the research that I'm doing, but metaphysics can bite me.
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I've got a book on dada and modern painting right now... Needless to say, I like the stuff...

Mondrian RULES!
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

I like CG Art...

also, I like a lot of Vivaldi and Beethoven... I don't know enough to be any kind of expert though...
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Is it that musicals are partly spoken and partly sung, while opera is entirely sung?
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Yup, they also generally have much lower production values (almost all operas are extremely elaborate). IIRC, if a play is entirely sung but has a low production value, then it is called an "operetta." ("Rock opera" carries about the same implications.)
                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

well ballet can be considered a form of dance.

I forgot novels. I like the ones in the 19th and early 20th century. I'm not sure how artistic they were. I enjoyed the american ones particularly because the English is so much more understandable. Melville and the likes weren't that easy to understand. I sometimes have to reread sentences to get the full meaning.

I didn't mention things like sculptures and pottery and other hand made items. I enjoy some, dislike others. I particularly like native american items.

Comment

I'd say in general I'm a very sense-orinetated arts lover, and prefer forms which are proper mediums for conveying emotions and thoughts through sonic and visual expression. I tend to go for stuff that's expressively and aesthetically deep rather than conceptually so. I'm also (perhaps exceedingly) shallow in some ways- a good piece needs to strike me almost immediately on an emotional or subconcious level for me to like it, I want to feel what the artist feels without having anything explained to me.

Thus I prefer poetry to novels, films to plays, modern art to post-modern or pre-modern stuff, modern dance to classical ballet, popular music to classical music. All (except possibly the last) with exceptions, of course.

I try to avoid anything overtly realist- I don't think there's much artistic value in depicting real life.
                    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Two words: Art Deco

Comment

Just about all of it really, with a couple of exceptions;

1) Country and Western music. It REALLY annoys me. I wouldn't deny other people enjoy it. Just not my cup of tea.

2) Modern art. I just don't get what the artist is saying, except maybe "I'm an overpaid garbage producer, and you are the sucker paying my wages".

I can appreciate SOMETHING about just about all other artforms - I wouldn't say I liked them all, but they do have a sense of art, apart from the above examples.
                        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Art definitions vary, as well as appreciations of it.
                          The perception of an artform is as personal and varied as a thumbprint.

Whats interesting about art is to take it as naturally as it approaches you and not necessarily as something thats only for a certain strata.
                          The underlying message of art is that it will mean something to the artist and perhaps it is ment for it to pass a message.
                          Art is usually better understood when you understand what was going on in the world or its surroundings when it was conceived. As per usual, art is a reaction. Not necessarily in its depiction but mostly in its expression.
                          Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Comment

Generally speaking I'm more interested in how something looks or sounds, the overall design or composition, rather than the deeper meaning behind it, lyrics etc.

As far as paintings go, I like Marcel Duchamp's (had to look that name up) "Nude Descending a Staircase"... There's another painting somewhat like it but even more abstract, but I forgot who made it, or what it was called. I believe these were on the same page in a schoolbook on the history of art (or something) we used in school.

I'm not much of a fan of poetry or musicals. I don't know enough dance or opera to judge that.
                            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Working...
                            X