Maybe Jack Chick was right after all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe Jack Chick was right after all

Well LARPers are funny people. Last summer while playing softball we had a whole lot of em show up on the field and act out a ship to ship battle. They'd even brought huge sail thingies along. But is truth stranger than fiction? http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

source:

Geeks Live Vicariously Through D&D
    RENTON, WA - Long considered to be merely a form of escapism, Wizards of the Coast's famed roleplaying game Dungeons & Dragons has increasingly become a way for geeks to experience activities that their normal lives wouldn't allow according to a recent marketing survey.

"We have noticed a big increase in the number of times certain players actually consider the actions of their characters to be actions they've undertaken in real life," said Chris Bronowski, spokesman and market analyst for Wizards of the Coast.

"As shocking as that may seem, it's great for business," he added, refering to the nearly endless list of add-on products that provide even more pretend experiences.

Wendell Picketts, 26, eagerly told reports about his exploits as Rancgor the Mighty, a level 17 barbarian. "I've travelled around the entire world many times over, all without leaving my basement room," he told reporters from his parents' home in Jamestown, NC. "Well, except for the time I had to go to Jerry's place for a week while his bike was in the repair shop."

Picketts proudly displayed some of the "souvenirs" that he has acquired during his wanderings, including a cardboard black steel dagger encrusted in glitter that was found in a lich's crypt and a magic runestone that was found during a foray into the Spine of the World mountain range.

"I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most athletic guy," Picketts said, "but thanks to D&D, I've climbed mountains, run across the Plains of Sargosh and even learned to pick locks a few levels back. My mom locked herself out of the garage a week ago, and if I'd been there instead of at the Dr. Who marathon, I could have saved her from having to call a locksmith."

Thanks to Rancgor, Picketts knows what a life without severe allergies is like, as well. "I can't go into any bars around here because of the cigarette smoke, but I've been in hundreds of taverns and even owned one for a few months," he said.

"I've even had sex," Picketts added in a hushed voice, "twice in Amn and once in Tethyr. Jerry and I acted out some stuff we saw on the Internet with the minis when my parents weren't home."

"It was messier than we anticipated," he added.

Miniature figurines have become key visualization components among geeks wishing to cement a roleplaying campaign's events in their psyches. Acting out a scene with miniatures and dioramas provides an added sense of authenticity, says Bronowski.

Dungeons & Dragons has tried to dissociate itself from live-action roleplaying (LARP) since the late '80s after several embarassing lawsuits. LARPing has continued on in small circles despite an extremely negative social stigma attached to it, and has led to such things as grown men yelling "Lightning bolt!" at each other while running around.

"Minis are also a lot safer and more dignified than having these poor souls act out an epic battle with their own bodies," Bronowski explained. "We really encourage the use of these miniatures over things like sticks and confetti. We prefer to think of D&D as something that's intellectual, and we don't want our fans to hurt themselves, regardless of what their character sheets say they can do."

UPDATE! (5-9-03)
    Following the announcement of the upcoming release of The Book of Erotic Fantasy, hundreds of hard-core geeks have expressed their joy at finally having a manual to outline their sexual escapades in the realm of D&D. Previously, many were forced to "just wing it" and attempt to imagine what sex might be like based on brief glimpses of showering sisters and sounds emitted from parents' bedrooms.

Chris Bronowski told The Daily Bull that Wizards of the Coast does not condone the actions of players who spy on their sisters for the purposes of gathering information for fantasy orgies. "If you want to be a decent person," he said, "you should really let your friends do the spying."

Bronowski, however, reiterated the fact that Dungeons & Dragons should remain purely in the realm of fantasy.

The book promises to add dozens of new feats and abilities, such as the much-anticipated "cumshot" ranged touch attack, (1d4 damage, base distance 6" + arousal bonus), which blinds the victim on a successful hit, but leaves the attacker in a state of bliss.

"We are excited about this new product, but we don't want our fans rushing to act out what they imagine," stated a Wizards of the Coast press release issued early today. "While we encourage players to experiment and try new things in all of our gaming universes, we stress that attempting to duplicate those experiences in the real world could potentially become very awkward for all persons involved, or at worst, be deemed extremely deviant. We strongly advise players to put their minis away and do something else if feelings of sexual frustration become too intense."
    Stop Quoting Ben

What's stigmatised about Liveing? I wouldn't do something that silly and self-indulgent myself, but certainly in scandinavia it's a significant-sized hobby which recieves loads of favourable press coverage.
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Chick strip part where the hot woman is the GM isn't true.

And the article's almost like the real Onion.
      "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
      "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Some people have never quite grasped the concept that "it is only a game." It has always amazed me how society is wrapped up in the make believe world of sports and games. There really is a real world out there (I think).

Comment

I wonder if Jack Chick himself has repressed sexual issues ...
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

"Noo!!! Not Blackleaf!"

Next up: Chick visits a Sci-fi Covention!
            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

I wonder if Jack Chick himself has repressed sexual issues ...
              Just read his anti-gay strips...
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

If Jack Chick's right, then I'd rather be in Hell.
                "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

Those D&D guys were totally pothetic. Can you imagine being 26 and still living in your parents house much less their basement?

I admite I played the game when I was like 15 but 26 is really pushing it.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I was just searching through my server's referral list, and I found this thread.

Just thought that I'd mention that the article ain't real, and the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

- AChimp
                    The Daily Bull

Comment

No way this can be true.. I mean, there must be a typo, he can't be 26.. he can play D&D and be 26 for sure, but all that stuff with the basement and 'travelling' and sex.. man he ain't 26!
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I never played D&D before I was 21

currently (22) I am on one RPG

it is just something to do with the guys (for fun), most other nights we go out to the bars

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Ah, the daily bull.. I should have known
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

as for other issues

yah, there are some really weird people who play RPGs

and I think that RPGs, like most anything else (including video games), can be dangerous

Jon Miller
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I also still occasionally play RPG.. We used to play merp but now we play Hârn, which is pretty awesome if GM is good, and we have a good GM with lots of stuff and the works plus good group with experienced players also, and our GM really has worked to set up few sessions. I think it's fun. I'm not talking about LARPing here.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X