No announcement yet.

Explain Sorrorities to Siro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm probably one of the few people here who was in a fraternity because I get the impression that most of the people who post here feel "above all that silliness of buying friends and being an idiodic, mysoginistic perma-drunk party machine".

My basic attitude towards trying to explain to someone things about fraternities is that I won't bother. If you think they are stupid and pointless, then why would I try to convince you otherwise?

I will say this though, and I do think that there is a difference between Canada and the US - there are always some people in fraternities that fit the stereotype, and there are always people that don't. Sure, I partied alot, but I never even hit on a sorority girl, let alone date one. I did rather well in a demanding IR program, but I certainly wasn't one of the top 10 in academics in my fraternity (and it wasn't one particularly known for academics). I'd hardly classify myself as a mysoginist, conservative or preppy. I didn't need to "buy friends" - in fact, I was already friends with a good number of the guys in my fraternity before I joined. I learned alot of good lessons and met some fantastic people and, if I had to do it all again, I'd join in a heartbeat.
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
      Actually one of my Kiwi mates went on an exchange to Berkeley and got so pissed off with a particular frat that he barged into their house and challenged them all to a fight.

Weirdly, they all ran away.
      That must have been a pretty pathetic group of guys. There were a few similar instances with my fraternity among parties, sporting events, etc.. They always ended in one hell of a beating to the guy (or guys) who were stupid enough to take on a whole fraternity.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki

That must have been a pretty pathetic group of guys. There were a few similar instances with my fraternity among parties, sporting events, etc.. They always ended in one hell of a beating to the guy (or guys) who were stupid enough to take on a whole fraternity.
        He went pretty crazy at them. I think they thought he might have a gun. After all, what sane person crashes angrily into the atrium of a frat house and challenges all its members to a fight?

*edit* great sig, Kontiki. I thought Asher's one was good, but that's even better.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

to put it in short: Sororities are places where you want to go to sleep, but not wake up.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Panntyyyy Raiiiiiiddddd!!!
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
            X