X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Types of Foreign English Teachers

(in Korea)

1. The Asian wanna-be.

They think every 'ajoshi' they meet is going to be Mr. Miyagi. Their stories always start with 'last night, at Tae Kwon Do, Kwan Ja Neem said...'. They regard eating 'western food' as a sin. They hate it when anyone mispronounces Korean, often providing the 'correct' (a different but still wrong) pronunciation.
    They always eat ALL the kimchi, no matter how bad it was, and always make sure everyone knows how much they love Kimchi. They hate the eye surgery some asians have to remove the epithcantic fold. They are always turning up their noses at 'non-authentic' stuff. They can also be like 'Oh, I'm a dedicated professional and YOU'RE NOT.' 'I'm as GOOD AS ASIAN, honkey!'

Extreme Case: From the Buddha's Birthday Parade thursday, 2 white Americans, married, their kids only speak Korean and go to Korean schools, the whole family dressed in Han Bok and other traditional dress....the freak show.

2. The Loser: Came to Korea because there is no ****ing way he could ever have a normal western life or relationship. Usually has a green-haired girl on one arm ****ing him for a passport. Often a hick. Doesn't have a driver's license. Has forgotten that most of us are from a society still uncomfortable with open infidelity and prostitution. Says he knows where the weed is, but just talk. Often an ugly, fat, geek, but talks like a 'poser' because his Korean 'girlfriends' expect it, bee-yatch.

Extreme Case: Andrew from Mi-crookedback-crookedback-i-crookedback-crookedback-ippi with his green haired 4 month, instant wedding hall 'wife', his state uni BA, his zero applicable to a real job experience, his pre-maturely thinning hair, and his 'ah met har through the in-TAR-net'

3. The Burn Out: think of the guy from Apocalypse Now "when I was there I wished I was here and when I was here I wished I was there". He moves in a kind of daze, nothing fazes him anymore. He's like Zaphod from Guide "Don't even TRY to outwierd me." Speaks good Korean. Drinks in the ajoshi bars, not the clubs. If he had a GF, she moved here or left. If she left, he always talks about reunions that never happen. He's always going back to his 'plan'...which always takes him back to Asia in the end. The older version of this guy is kinda 'post-colonial' looking.

Extreme Case: All the lifers can eventually be recognized.

4. The Chum: These are the ones who only ever hang out with other EFLs. They only go to Itaewon, if they go out much at all. They drink, and eat at Mc Donalds. They might as well not be in Korea. Call them the 'Culture?? huh?' crowd. They don't know any Korean after a year. If they are geeks, they rarely ever leave the appartments.

Extremes: too many to count

5. The haters/scum: These are the odd ******. They believe the secret of asian culture is simply rudeness, pushiness, and a total lack of respect. They treat Koreans like children and the children like dogs. They can't function too well back in canada after the kinda stuff they get used to, but "Everything is better back in X, can you believe that? They're so ****ing stupid and primitive and corrupt, and unsanitary and comformist here" "everybody is stupid except me" "You're ONLY making 2.1?? HAHAHHAHA." "Everybody who isn't a total IDIOT works (illegal) privates". "Asian women are all whores or *****es". "where the whores at?" "They aren't even 'REAL' christians! (fundie version)" "My coworkers are stupid and always scheming against me" "I'm bailing on this when and skippin' to Incheon to 'work' another training period" "One a these heahr little gooks gives me lip, ah jus' smack em right up side thah hayd HAWHAWHAW" (patent jack Chick)

Extremes: Some people just have their bad nights....others are ****.
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Which one are you?
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I reckon the English teachers here are pretty much like other teachers. Let's see, what have I had?

Lower elementary school (grades 1-6): A rather weird lady who's taught English in school I went to for a long time (taught my thirtysomething sister, too). Everyone disliked her, though I can't exactly remember why. When tests were held, had a habit of looking at my test, handing it back and saying "You made a few mistakes here, correct them". After our class left the school, the one younger than us by one year drew a large tonker in the blackboard while she was away. She got back and just commented on how well it was drawn. This was not because she was cool, I think, just because she was... well, her.

Upper elementary school (grades 7-9): Had a several, I believe, can't remember what they were like. I'm trying to forget the upper elementary school in it's entirety, here.

High school: Different courses, different teachers. Most were held by this one woman who had piercing eyes and an odd habit of saying certain, certainly translatable words in Finnish. Also, she never graded me 10, for various (very very unfair, naturally) reasons. She was kinda sorta cute, for a married (Her husband was an Australian, which she kept mentioning), middle-aged-approaching unfair teacher.

Now, Swedish teachers. They're evil. Consistently evil.
      "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
      "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

"When tests were held, had a habit of looking at my test, handing it back and saying "You made a few mistakes here, correct them"."

I do that all the time. The point is to learn English, I don't really care what your grade on any one test is. Wayyyyy too much import is attached to tests.

I ALSO don't care if you're an A student but you think you're smart enough not to participate....if I have to read this inane, mind-blastingly stupid story you have to listen, mmmKay?

And tired? **** off, I've been hung over for 2 days! You want to go home? I want to as well, but we're going to sit here and suffer.....that's right, I said SUFFER you little punk! No more 'Mani Ookida'!

Um.....sorry....jus' venting...

What's my type? Burn-Out. When I'm at work I just think about home, and I know when I go home I'll just want to go back to work again. And I'm in a daze so deep I'm having trouble telling reality apart from that other ****.
        "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
        "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
        "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

You seem to be talking down the whole teaching abroad thing. I was considering it until I read this thread.

Comment

They treat Koreans like children and the children like dogs.

Please tell me that they don't have any pets. I don't want to know how they would treat those.
            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I like english teachers. They're essential, meaning they focus on the essence.

I have been taught by greek french and english teachers, english are the best.

They're also the toughest but I liked the challenge. I was their best student from 10 EU countries in history classes. Got a 9,5 out of 10. I even beat that danish guy and to his credit he acknowledged that he never gotten a 9,5.

Comment

drugs, suicides and real education

Multilingual and multicultural education at nursery, primary and secondary level

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                  I have been taught by greek french and english teachers, english are the best.
                  I just had to quote this one for posterity. It isn't often that paiktis says nice stuff about the english.
                  If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I dont have anything against the english. It's that many poly brits are so nationalistic they virtually beg for a beating that's what makes it so fun!

Comment

I only remember one anecdote about English teachers from my school daysl

The nun in question (can't remember name) scrawled something at the end of an essay I had written. I held it up to the light, asked my classmates to translate, and finally had to walk up and ask what it said.

"Your handwriting is almost illegible."

I laughed so much I got detention.
                      Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                      "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Working...
                      X