No announcement yet.

Tornado Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If an F5 where that close to me, I'd be in the basement, instead of on the internet.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Sloww, my understanding was that Florida didn't get that many tornados. More than most, but not compared to Tornado Alley. Most of them, I'm led to believe, are spawned in hurracanes, but in my 18 months down here, two have come within 50 miles. Even Nebraska wasn't that bad for me.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

chegitz, trust me, we were keeping a close eye on it. But it passed to our south heading toward Lawrence and I understand now there are two tornadoes in that vicinity from the same storm, possible one of them is the same tornado.

Comment

Could you hear it from where you were?

Comment

A bunch of tornados came through here two days ago but they all missed me. Hope that they miss Berzeker too...

Comment

And the air raid horns sound in Columbia Missouri. Luckily the storms that have battered my state for the past week have missed me. Is tonight the night? When this is my second to last night here? Please let me watch tv, i can here the sirens.

Maybe I shouldn't have drunk so much wine tonight....

Comment

One passed within three miles of my parents home during the "TornadoFest" a couple days ago. They live in Mission, Kansas.

edit: They live in Shawnee. They used to live in Mission.
                Last edited by The Mad Monk; May 9, 2003, 01:06.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Chegitz, no, too far away.

Yup, Shawnee, Kansas was in the area of Sunday's tornadoes. Compared to Sunday, today was mild (unless you live in Okla City).

Ah, Lincoln, you're in Tennessee. Yeah, they had their share. Glad they missed you...

Comment

**sigh** In another two or three weeks, my part of the country will enter its prime tornado season ... what's happening more in the South and Southern Plains will be moving into the Northern Plains shortly.

Gotta love life in the heartland!

Gatekeeper
                    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                      If an F5 where that close to me, I'd be in the basement, instead of on the internet.
                      With an F5 or (the worst!) an F6 tornado bearing down on you, not even a basement could guarantee your safety. The building above might collapse into the basement.

Still, it's definitely better than lying stretched out in some slight depression on the prairie, desperately grasping at grass to keep oneself from being hurtled (or crushed by flying objects) into oblivion.

Gatekeeper
                      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Interesting trivia- On a per sq mile basis the UK has the most tornadoes of any country in the world, of course they are not exactly bif ones
                        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                        Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

With as much coastline as you have, they're probably waterspouts, which usually aren't as strong as twisters on land.

Glad to see you made it through, Berzerker.
                          "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

Which is what I was saying to Che, Clem.

Tornadoes occur in many areas around the world. However, no region experiences more tornadoes than the central United States. Besides this region, portions of western Europe are perhaps most notably at risk. In the British Isles, an average of 10 tornadoes per year are recorded.

WHEN do tornadoes occur?

Most tornadoes in North America occur between March and July, with the month of May normally experiencing the greatest number of tornadoes.

During the spring months, the climate across the United States is in a dramatic transition from winter to summer. That leads to tremendous development of thunderstorms and tornadoes across the Heartland of the United States. There are over 800 Tornadoes per year throughout the United States, and most of them occur in the area known as Tornado Alley. Tornado Alley is an area in the Great Plains portion of the United States that stretches from Nebraska to Texas.

This area sees the bulk of the Tornado Activity between March and July of every year. The month of May is the high point of this annual tornado season where there can be as many as 300 tornadoes. They usually strike during the late afternoon hours between 4:00 PM and 6:00 PM. This is because the maximum heating of the day occurs which results in the greatest amount of turbulence in the atmosphere.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

i think tornadoes are monstrously beautiful..i have some weird facination with them.
                              it's odd..here in central texas, we're constantly under tornado watches..like yesterday...but there isn't a cloud in the sky and not even a green dot (let alone sploch or masses of reds/yellow/white) on the radar...
                              i think we're too paranoid here.
                              "Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy

Comment

Happy Birthday dm!
                                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X