No announcement yet.

Cats 'farmed for skins in EU'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps they should have called this thread '101 ways to skin a dead cat'?

Me-OOOOW!
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Now I know why I never liked West-ham
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

CHINESE

Comment

Originally posted by alva
          Now I know why I never liked West-ham
          Now, now - there's no need to get catty with me...

Comment

Did anyone here ever see the movie "Gummo"? The part about the kids killing all the cats in the neighbor hood and then selling them to the all you can eat Chinese place seems so fitting in this thread.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I haven't heard of that

...but 2 summers ago in CANADA of all places I was at a Chinese restaurant with my eastern relatives - of whom my Uncle owned a meat market

When dinner was served, Unc calmy persisted in asking to know what the "chicken" in his dish really was, each time the waiter smilingly replying "it's chicken!"

"No... THAT'S not chicken."

"Yes, it's chicken!"

"I'm sorry, that's not chicken... We're leaving."

Comment

Interesting Thread.
                Didn´t know that there are Cat-Farms in the EU.

What is my opinion on such thing?

I think like spiffor:
                I wouldn´t complain about cats or dogs being eaten or being skinned for their fur. Many other animals are "used" for this purpose, too.
                So, if I would complasin about such things I´d have to ask myself why I don´t become a vegetarian, because every animal has a right to live.

The only thing I would complain would be the conditions under which they are kept and the conditions und er which they are killed.

And as for those things I remember something, which IMHO is much more cruel.
                Dogs are being (illegally) butchered within the EU to use their meat as food.
                I wouldn´t complain, if they were just killed quickly, like a Cow. But, as many Chinese believe, that Adrenalin makes the meat much tender, those dogs are being beaten to death with sticks, so they experience as much pain, anger and fear as possible before they die (and therefore also produce as much Adrenalin as possible prior to death).
                Thats one thing I consider really cruel.
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

How someone could possible harm this I don't know...
                  Attached Files
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Declawing cats (front claws) is necessary for indoor cats. I've seen WAAAY too many houses get their furnature destroyed, even with 2-3 scratching posts. My g/f declawed the cat she's got and she saved her furnature. Ivan (the cat's name) doesn't even realize he has no claws... he still tries to scratch .

There is nothing wrong with declawing a cat, and when I get one, I'll declaw. You ain't stopping me . What, would you rather s/he get put down because no one wants him or declawed in a loving home? Really!
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      Declawing cats (front claws) is necessary for indoor cats. I've seen WAAAY too many houses get their furnature destroyed, even with 2-3 scratching posts. My g/f declawed the cat she's got and she saved her furnature. Ivan (the cat's name) doesn't even realize he has no claws... he still tries to scratch .

There is nothing wrong with declawing a cat, and when I get one, I'll declaw. You ain't stopping me . What, would you rather s/he get put down because no one wants him or declawed in a loving home? Really!
                      That's just wrong. Declawing a cat is amputating parts of its paws off. Would you like to have the tips of your fingers removed? Do you really think the cat doesn't realize he's lost his claws? His "scratching" is to put scent on it, not actually claw it.

It doesn't take all that long to train a cat, using scratching posts, to not claw the furniture. Even so, what kind of person would disfigure a pet for the sake of material furniture items? What kind of person would give away a pet he loved because it clawed the couch too many times?

How lazy are you that you'd rather mutilate your cat rather than clip his claws once every so often?

I'm sorry, the "nothing wrong with it argument" is pretty bad, coming from someone who doesn't have to worry about undergoing a painful surgery.

CatStuff: thousands of domestic cat graphics for web sites, a huge library of information about cats, games, much more.

Last edited by Boris Godunov; May 8, 2003, 21:06.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

That should give you 'paws' for thought, Imran...

Comment

It doesn't Mobius.

That's just wrong. Declawing a cat is amputating parts of its paws off. Would you like to have the tips of your fingers removed?

Humans = cats. Yessss .

Rather have the cat put down than have him declawed? That's better... If I had a choice to have the tips of my fingers removed or get killed, I think I'd choose the former.

It doesn't take all that long to train a cat, using scratching posts, to not claw the furniture.

But they do still do so. I've seen plenty of 'trained' cats totally destroy chairs.

How lazy are you that you'd rather mutilate your cat rather than clip his claws once every so often?

You can keep clipping claws, every day, but they'll still be able to scratch cloth.

And plenty of animal clinics declaw... Hell, the vet where we got my g/f's cat said all of his cats are declawed and they do declawings.

Yeah, there is 'nothing wrong' with it. You can cry over my future cats, but you won't stop me from declawing them.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

That should give you 'paws' for thought, Imran...
                            Witty but not funny

/me lights a candle for Bolton this week-end

Edit: quote added
                            Last edited by alva; May 8, 2003, 21:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              Humans = cats. Yessss .
                              So cat's can't feel pain? Right back at ya:

Rather have the cat put down than have him declawed? That's better... If I had a choice to have the tips of my fingers removed or get killed, I think I'd choose the former.
                              False dichotomy. So if you weren't able to declaw your cat, you'd have it put down? What kind of sick bastard are you?

So if you have a kid who tends to lie a lot, will cutting out his tongue be acceptable to you?

But they do still do so. I've seen plenty of 'trained' cats totally destroy chairs.
                              Most cat's can be trained to not claw things:

But even if you can't, you'd rather disfigure the cat than, oh, put slip covers on furniture, or close off rooms with valuable items? Again:

You can keep clipping claws, every day, but they'll still be able to scratch cloth.
                              Clipping claws will prevent cats from being able to claw most things. And again, why not just make it so they don't have access to cloth to scratch?

And plenty of animal clinics declaw... Hell, the vet where we got my g/f's cat said all of his cats are declawed and they do declawings.
                              Oh well, if a clinic that gets PAID for a procedure is willing to do it, it must be right! And there's no way a Veternarian could be wrong (even though thousands of veternarians also refuse to do the procedure). And keep in mind it's banned in 25 countries, and an increasing number of localities in the U.S.

Yeah, there is 'nothing wrong' with it. You can cry over my future cats, but you won't stop me from declawing them.
                              You want to butcher your pets, that's up to you. For now.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Nice links Boris, thanks
                                -
                                I loved this part
                                Being out of balance is extremely distressing to a cat, whose very life is about balance. You've observed cats climbing trees, teetering perilously on a single branch, leaping incredible heights to land on a pre-selected spot, or threading in and out of complex arrangements of knickknacks without disturbing a single ornament. (Unless, of course, they choose to do so.) These are acts of balance and part of a cat's basic heritage.

Comment

Working...
                                X